Moose Deflect Chicago Wolves
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - Manitoba's Kristian Vesalainen scored on the two-man advantage midway through the third period to trigger a 3-1 victory over the Chicago Wolves on Friday night at Bell MTS Place.
Forward Reid Duke scored for the Wolves (10-14-2-0), who never trailed until Vesalainen's power-play goal off a Chicago defenseman's skate with 11:51 to play.
The Wolves leaped into the lead just 2:18 into the game as Duke controlled the puck just outside of the right faceoff circle and fired it toward the traffic in front of the net. Duke hustled toward the net, gathered the loose puck just outside of the crease and flicked it home for the 1-0 lead.
Manitoba (13-12-0-0) evened the score on an unlikely goal from former Wolves defenseman Jimmy Oligny at 10:24 of the second period. Defenseman Leon Gawanke fired wildly from the right point and his shot slammed off the back boards and ricocheted to the left half-wall. That's where Oligny claimed the puck and sent it toward Wolves goaltender Garret Sparks, who got a piece of the shot but couldn't stop it from trickling into the net.
The game's momentum turned in Manitoba's favor when the Wolves took a pair of penalties with 13:47 to play. Valentin Zykov was whistled for slashing, then Patrick Brown and Nicolas Roy took turns being tossed out of the faceoff circle - the latter infraction counting as a delay of game.
The Wolves nearly killed off the 5-on-3 situation, but Vesalainen banked a centering pass off a Wolves defenseman's skate into the net with four seconds left on the power play -- Manitoba's only shot while owning the two-man advantage.
Forward Skyler McKenzie, who assisted on the Moose's first two goals, earned an insurance goal with 1:17 to go when he whistled a puck from the defensive zone into the empty net.
Sparks (4-8-2) stopped 20 of 22 shots for the Wolves while Moose goaltender Mikhail Berdin (12-10-0) posted 26 saves to pick up the win.
The Wolves and Moose meet again at 6 p.m. Saturday on AHLTV. Chicago returns to Allstate Arena on Saturday, Dec. 14, for Star Wars Night. For the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Iowa Falls to Milwaukee 7-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Blank Defending Champs 4-0 for Second Straight Shutout Win - Rochester Americans
- Tangradi Scores, Helps Griffins Earn Point in Return - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Get Back on Winning Track - Milwaukee Admirals
- Four First-Period Goals Propel Crunch over Rocket in 5-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Welinski Scores in First Half of Home-And Home with Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lorito, Jobst and Aho all record multiple points in a wild win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Deflect Chicago Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Win Fifth Straight Game, Top Binghamton Devils, 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Fall to Stars, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penalty Kill Shines in Bears 2-1 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fly Past Rocket, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Lose 6-2 To Bruins - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Emerge with 4-3 Win against Penguins - Texas Stars
- Sens Taken Down by Monsters - Belleville Senators
- Pack Ends Skid with 5-2 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Post Game Notes: Stars 4 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- T-Birds' Strong Start Doesn't Hold up vs. Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters' 6-2 Victory Snaps Senators Win Streak - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Drop Wild Game in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Second-Period Barrage Sinks Checkers in Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- Eric Tangradi Returns to Griffins on One-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Brennan Menell from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Greg Pateryn, Nico Sturm from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Moose Release Forward Nathan Todd - Manitoba Moose
- Confidence Key for Brannstrom in Belleville Return - Belleville Senators
- Defenseman Rob O'Gara Traded to Springfield - San Antonio Rampage
- T-Birds Acquire D Rob O'Gara from San Antonio Rampage - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rangers Assign Boo Nieves to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 6 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 6, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Recall Zadina - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Travel to Snowy Utica, Syracuse this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Davidsson Recalled from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Florida Panthers Recall F Aleksi Saarela from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Sign Fitzgerald and Markison; AHL Moves Projected Start Date to February 5
- Join the First Run with the Wolves Virtual 5K
- Chicago Wolves Forge Partnership with Carolina Hurricanes
- Wolves Fans Can Win a Day with the Illinois Lottery Cup
- Thirty-Eight Chicago Wolves on NHL Playoff Rosters