Monsters' 6-2 Victory Snaps Senators Win Streak
BELLEVILLE, ON - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters beat the Belleville Senators 6-2 on Friday night at CAA Arena. With the win, the Monsters are now 12-10-1-1 and are currently in seventh place in the AHL's North Division standings with 26 points.
The Monsters struck first at 7:17 of the opening frame when Stefan Matteau scored with Doyle Somerby and Anton Karlsson earning the assists. Cleveland doubled the lead courtesy of a tally from Nathan Gerbe and helpers from Kevin Stenlund and Adam Clendening at 10:48 to bring the 2-0 score into the first intermission.
Belleville scored the lone goal of the second period after Rudolfs Balcers converted on a man-advantage opportunity at 14:02 bringing the score to 2-1 heading into the final frame.
Cleveland scored four goals in the third period beginning with Justin Scott's tally at 3:39 assisted by Jakob Lilja and Dillon Simpson. Simpson scored a power-play goal at 6:48 with Gabriel Carlsson and Lilja picking up the helpers followed by Michael Prapavessis's first goal of the season assisted by Scott at 7:27. Carlsson also scored his first goal of the season during a power-play opportunity at 9:52 with Lilja and Simpson picking up the assists. The Senators brought the final score to 6-2 after Cole Cassels' tally with one minute left in the game.
Veini Vehvilainen made 17 saves for the win while Belleville's Filip Gustavsson stopped 20 pucks in the loss.
The Monsters meet the Belleville Senators again Saturday night with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at CAA Arena. Follow the games with full coverage on ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 2 0 4 - - 6
BEL 0 1 1 - - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 26 2/6 6/7 14 min / 7 inf
BEL 19 1/7 4/6 12 min / 6 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Vehvilainen W 17 2 5-6-0
BEL Gustavsson L 20 6 6-3-1
Cleveland Record: 12-10-1-1, 7th North Division
Belleville Record: 13-9-1-0, 5th North Division
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters lineup to offer congratulations
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Iowa Falls to Milwaukee 7-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Blank Defending Champs 4-0 for Second Straight Shutout Win - Rochester Americans
- Tangradi Scores, Helps Griffins Earn Point in Return - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Get Back on Winning Track - Milwaukee Admirals
- Four First-Period Goals Propel Crunch over Rocket in 5-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Welinski Scores in First Half of Home-And Home with Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lorito, Jobst and Aho all record multiple points in a wild win on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose Deflect Chicago Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Win Fifth Straight Game, Top Binghamton Devils, 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Fall to Stars, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penalty Kill Shines in Bears 2-1 Win over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fly Past Rocket, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Lose 6-2 To Bruins - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Emerge with 4-3 Win against Penguins - Texas Stars
- Sens Taken Down by Monsters - Belleville Senators
- Pack Ends Skid with 5-2 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Post Game Notes: Stars 4 at Penguins 3 - Texas Stars
- T-Birds' Strong Start Doesn't Hold up vs. Wolf Pack - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters' 6-2 Victory Snaps Senators Win Streak - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Drop Wild Game in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Second-Period Barrage Sinks Checkers in Rochester - Charlotte Checkers
- Eric Tangradi Returns to Griffins on One-Year Deal - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Defenseman Brennan Menell from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Greg Pateryn, Nico Sturm from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Moose Release Forward Nathan Todd - Manitoba Moose
- Confidence Key for Brannstrom in Belleville Return - Belleville Senators
- Defenseman Rob O'Gara Traded to Springfield - San Antonio Rampage
- T-Birds Acquire D Rob O'Gara from San Antonio Rampage - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rangers Assign Boo Nieves to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, December 6 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, December 6, 2019 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Recall Zadina - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Travel to Snowy Utica, Syracuse this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Davidsson Recalled from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Florida Panthers Recall F Aleksi Saarela from T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement