Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (36-33) dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker on Father's Day to the Iowa Cubs (38-32), with starter Andrew Suarez taking the tough-luck loss after a brilliant performance.
Suarez was firing on all cylinders on Sunday afternoon. The lefty had his best outing of the season, tossing a River Cats season-high eight innings. His lone blemish came in the eighth inning when Cubs leadoff hitter Trent Giambrone homered to deep left-center for the only run of the afternoon. Suarez also went 1-2 with a single and sacrifice bunt at the plate.
It was a tough day offensively for the River Cats who managed just four hits on the afternoon. Sacramento also did not have an extra base hit on Sunday and were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position. Two of the club's four hits came off the bat of right fielder Henry Ramos, who finished 2-for-3 with a pair of singles and a walk.
Looking forward to tomorrow, right-hander Enderson Franco (2-1, 6.40) will toe the rubber for the River Cats. The Iowa Cubs will counter with righty Trevor Clifton (1-6, 4.47). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- For the first time this season the River Cats saw their starting pitcher go eight innings - Andrew Suarez tossed eight innings of one run baseball, allowing four hits and three walks with three strikeouts. Suarez was also the last River Cat starter to pitch into the ninth when he did it August 12, 2017 against Salt Lake City.
- For the third time this season, the River Cats were involved in a 1-0 game in which the only run a home run (5/24 - Matt Thaiss, 5/31 - Mike Gerber). On Sunday, the game's only run came off the bat of Iowa's Trent Giambrone.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics
- River Cats Announce 2019 Triple-A Championship Ring Design