Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss
NASHVILLE - The Salt Lake Bees scored seven runs in the second inning on their way to an 11-8 win over the Nashville Sounds in front of 8,966 fans at First Tennessee Park Sunday afternoon.
Salt Lake's huge second inning started with a bang when Kaleb Cowart crushed a solo homer off Nashville starter Pedro Payano into The Band Box to make it a 1-0 game. Four of the next six batters reached safely - two on hits and two on walks issued by Payano.
With a 2-0 lead, the bases loaded, and two outs, Jared Walsh hit a ground ball that was mishandled by Nashville Chase d'Arnaud at first base. Two runners scored to make it a 4-0 game. Jose Rojas followed with a two-run triple and Cowart followed with an RBI single to extend the lead to 7-0.
The Bees extended their lead to 10-0 in the third when Michael Hermosillo cleared the bases with a three-run double off Sounds' reliever Jake Lemoine.
Nashville answered with a six-run bottom of the fifth inning. Carlos Tocci started the rally with a double and Jett Bandy knocked him in with a base hit to right field. d'Arnaud singled, Eli White drew a walk and Willie Calhoun scored everybody with a double down the left field line to make it 10-4.
The next three batters all reached on errors by Salt Lake third baseman Jose Rojas and Nashville cut the deficit to 10-6.
It was an 11-6 game going into the bottom of the seventh when Willie Calhoun was hit by a pitch and Andy Ibanez's double into the gap in left-center trimmed the deficit to 11-7. Calhoun was replaced by pinch-runner Franklin Rollin.
A sacrifice fly by Tocci made it 11-8 but that's as close as the Sounds would get. Relievers Locke St. John and Jake Petricka combined to throw 2 1/3 scoreless innings, but the offense didn't muster anymore firepower.
Game three of the four-game series is scheduled for Monday night at First Tennessee Park. Right-hander Tim Dillard (5-5, 4.21) starts for Nashville against right-hander Jose Rodriguez (1-1, 5.63) for Salt Lake. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
With today's 11-8 loss, the Sounds dropped to 28-41 on the season.
Carlos Tocci and Eli White extended their on-base streak to 15 games and 11 games, respectively.
White's 10-game hitting streak was snapped with his 0-for-4 day. He did draw a walk in the fifth.
Jake Petricka made his Sounds debut and threw a scoreless ninth inning. Petricka was acquired via trade on June 14.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Drops Big to New Orleans, Splits Series
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43)
- Wisdom Hits Walk-Off Homer in Front of Sellout
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-42)
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes