Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces
San Antonio, Texas - The Aces were cruising along with a 2-0 lead into the fifth thanks to two solo home runs off the bat of Abraham Almonte. However, a four-run fifth gave the San Antonio Missions the lead and they never looked back in their 8-3 victory over Reno. The big blow in the inning came from San Antonio first baseman David Freitas who cleared the bases for a 3-RBI double. He would add his fourth RBI in the game on a solo home run in the seventh. Alex Young got the start on Father's Day, he also threw on Mother's Day, allowing four runs over five innings in the loss. Aaron Wilkerson picked up his sixth win of the season for San Antonio in the game. The Missions would add some insurance in the bottom of the sixth with RBIs from outfielder Michael O'Neill and infielder Mauricio Dubon. Right fielder Nate Orf would double in the eighth to drive in San Antonio's eighth run. The loss brings Reno to 29-40 on the season. They will look to rebound tomorrow with MLB veteran Ricky Nolasco taking the ball with first pitch scheduled for 5:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Abraham Almonte (2-for-4, 2 HR, BB)
Yasmany Tomas (3-for-4, 2B, RBI)
Alex Young (5.0 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 8 K)
Top Performers - San Antonio
David Freitas (2-for-4, HR, 2B, 4 RBI)
Mauricio Dubon (3-for-5, 2B, 1 RBI, R)
Nate Orf (3-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday June 17 San Antonio Missions RHP Ricky Nolasco vs. RHP Zack Brown 5:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Adopted Home: Alex Young grew up in Illinois, but played his collegiate ball at Texas Christian University, about a four hour drive from Wolff Stadium where today's game was played. The lefty compiled a 17-10 record to go along with a 2.39 ERA during his college days. He earned First Team Big-12 and Louisville Slugger 2nd-team All-American selections in his final season going 9-3 with a 2.22 ERA with 103 K's over 97.1 IP. Young competed in the 2014 (teammates with Kevin Cron) and 2015 College World Series with the Horned Frogs before being drafted in the second round of the 2015 draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Homecoming: Aces southpaw Anthony Vasquez grew up in San Antonio, Texas and attended Ronald Reagan High School just about 30 minutes from where today's game was played at Wolff Stadium. Vasquez threw two innings allowing three earned runs on five hits in today's game.
Welcome Andy Young: Infielder Andy Young was added to the Aces roster prior to today's game. Young came over from St. Louis in the offseason in the part of the deal that sent Diamondbacks' slugger Paul Goldschmidt to the Cardinals. Young in listed as the D-backs' no. 11 prospect according to MLB Pipeline. The Indiana State alum was batting .260 with eight home runs and 28 RBIs for Double-A Jackson over 65 games before his call up. Young leads all of Minor League baseball with 19 hit by pitches.
Last Time That Happened: Abraham Almonte homered twice in the game. The last time that happened was on 9/03/09 while Almonte was playing for the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class Single-A South Atlantic League.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada