Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day
Fresno, California - Behind a strong start from Paolo Espino and three homers, the Lowriders de Fresno (34-35) stopped their three-game skid with an 8-1 victory over the Omaha Storm Chasers (34-36) on Father's Day. Espino (7-2) secured the decision after six innings of one-run ball, allowing three hits, walking one and punching out five. James Bourque, Michael Blazek and Derek Self followed the righty with three scoreless frames of relief.
The Lowriders offense sped ahead with six runs in the first two innings. Wilmer Difo began the scoring by raking his second clout of the season, a two-run bomb to right field. Then, Yadiel Hernandez raced home on a wild pitch. Hernandez finished his evening with three hits. Carter Kieboom highlighted the second frame with a three-RBI wallop to dead center. It was his ninth of the year. Finally, Jake Noll crushed a two-run dinger to left in the eighth to put Fresno up 8-1.
Omaha tallied their only run in the third on a Kelvin Gutierrez RBI single, notching Jecksson Flores. The shortstop was not retired in the contest. Scott Blewett (5-6) was tagged with the loss after three innings of work. Both Andrew Stevenson and Matt Reynolds recorded two hits in the Lowriders victory.
Top Performers: Lowriders de Fresno (Washington Nationals)
- RHP Paolo Espino (6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K)
- 3B/SS Wilmer Difo (2-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-3, HR, 3 RBI, R)
- 3B Jake Noll (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- LF Yadiel Hernandez (3-5, 2B, R)
Top Performers: Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City Royals)
- SS Jecksson Flores (2-2, R, HBP)
- 3B Kelvin Gutierrez (1-4, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday June 17 Omaha Storm Chasers (Home) RHP Joe Ross (Fresno) vs. TBA (Omaha) 7:05 p.m.
KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Fresno currently hosts Omaha as the 2019 College World Series begins in their city; half of the eight schools that qualified are represented on the Grizzlies' roster. RHP James Bourque (University of Michigan), INF/OF Matt Reynolds (University of Arkansas) and RHP Derek Self (University of Louisville) are all rooting on their alma maters and former clubs this week. Athletic Trainer Eric Montague is an alum of Mississippi State University, one of four SEC teams to advance to Omaha.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Unveil Community GARden at Chukchansi Park
- Jamel Herring-Lamont Roach Jr. Tickets at Fresno's Chukchansi Park On Sale Now
- Fresno's Wilmer Difo Named PCL Player of the Week
- Fresno Grizzlies End Season on Six-Game Win Streak
- Grizz roar to fifth straight victory thanks to Difo's walk-off double