Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (36-32) won a roller coaster series opener against the Iowa Cubs (37-32) by a score of 7-6. Second baseman Ryan Howard picked up his second extra-inning, walk-off hit in the last three days.
Southpaw starter Conner Menez was mowing down Cubs Saturday night as he set down a River Cats season-high 10 batters in his six innings of work. The lefty exited the game with a 4-3 lead, but would not factor into the decision after the River Cats lost the lead in the top of the seventh.
After putting up a three spot in the first, Abiatal Avelino added on with a solo shot to dead center in the third. After temporally falling behind, Levi Michael singled home Avelino to tie the game at five in the eighth inning.
Later, in the tenth inning, down by a run with runners on first and second, Howard ripped a two-run double down the left field line to send River Cats fans home happy. The young infielder was mobbed on the infield by his teammates - a familiar sight as Howard also picked up the extra-inning winner on Thursday night.
The Sacramento River Cats will send lefty Andrew Suarez (3-4, 6.07) to the mound for the Father's Day matinee. The Iowa Cubs will counter with righty Alec Mills (3-2, 6.00). First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Flame throwing right-hander Ray Black, the Giants number 14 prospect (MLB Pipeline), touched 100 MPH with a fastball in the ninth inning. He tossed a perfect inning by striking out the side in order on 16 pitches.
- Austin Slater was awarded first base twice following a hit-by pitch on Saturday night. He now finds himself among the Pacific Coast League leaders (tied for sixth) with eight hit-by-pitches this season.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics