Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds
The Salt Lake Bees scored seven runs in the second inning and added three more in the third for a 10-0 lead, but had to hold on for an 11-8 win over the Nashville Sounds on Sunday afternoon.
In the second, Kaleb Cowart put the Bees in front with a leadoff homer. Matt Thaiss drove in the second run with a bases loaded ground out. Jared Walsh hit a grounder right through the legs of the Nashville first baseman and two runs score on the error to make it 4-0. Jose Rojas followed with a two run triple and Cowart capped off the inning with an RBI single. Two walks and a single loaded the bases in the third and Michael Hermosillo drove in all three with a double to center. Nashville would score six in the fifth with two runs unearned thanks to three errors and eventually get to within three runs of Salt Lake, but Jeremy Rhoades retired all eight batters he faced to earn his fourth save of the season.
Salt Lake starter Patrick Sandoval (3-2) picked up the win, as he went five innings and allowed six runs, four earned, on six hits with five strikeouts and one walk. Cowart led the Bees with three hits and two runs batted in, while Hermosillo added two hits and three RBI, as all nine starters each scored at least one run. The win evens up the series at 1-1 and gives the Bees a 2-3 record on their Tennessee road trip.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.