Missions Double Down on Father's Day
SAN ANTONIO - The Missions celebrated Father's Day with an 8-3 win over Reno this afternoon. After trailing 1-0 in the first four innings, the Missions outscored Reno eight runs to two over the final seven innings. The Missions offense sets a new season high with five doubles in today's game.
The fifth inning was very kind for the Missions as they scored four runs and sent eight batters to the plate. Jake Hager lead off with a double and he came around to score on a Nate Orf RBI single. With the bases loaded, Missions catcher David Freitas cleared the bases with a three-RBI double to increase the Missions lead to 4-2.
For the second consecutive game, the Reno Aces were the first to score. In the top of the second inning, Reno outfielder Abraham Almonte lifted a solo home run over the right field, his eighth of the season. Almonte followed that up with another solo home run in the top of the fifth inning which put Reno on top 2-0 at the time.
The Missions had a terrific scoring opportunity in the bottom of the third inning after Mauricio Dubon led off the inning with a double. However, Reno starter Alex Young struck out Nate Orf, Keston Hiura and Cory Spangenberg to end the threat.
The Missions followed their four-run fifth inning by scoring two more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Pinch-hitter Michael O'Neill doubled in Hager and then Dubon singled in O'Neill. Dubon ended the day going 3-for-5 with a double and an RBI. He extended his hitting streak to eight games.
Freitas continued his Sunday dominance with a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh inning. His four RBI's marks a new season high for Freitas. The Missions offense continued to mash in the eighth inning as Orf drove in O'Neill with an RBI double. Orf finished the day 3-for-5 with two RBI, a double, and a stolen base.
The Reno Aces added a third run in the top of the eighth inning. Aces outfielder Yasmany Tomas drove in a run with an RBI double.
Aaron Wilkerson made his 10th start of the season today for the Missions. He improves to 6-1 on the season with the win today. He pitched five innings, allowed two earned runs on five hits, and struck out seven batters.
For Reno, southpaw Alex Young made his seventh start of the season and he was dominate for the first four innings of this ballgame. The wheels fell off in the fifth inning as he allowed four earned runs. With the loss, Young falls to 4-3 on the season. He pitched five innings, allowed four earned runs on seven hits, and struck out eight batters.
The Missions and Aces continue their four-game series Monday night at Nelson Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Zack Brown (1-4, 5.07) will start for the Missions against right-hander Ricky Nolasco (0-0, 4.91) for the Aces. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
With the win, San Antonio improves to 44-26 on the season.
With a double in the fifth inning, David Freitas extends his hitting streak to 12 games. New season high with four RBI
Mauricio Dubon extends his hitting streak to eight games with two more hits today
Five doubles marks a new team high for the Missions offense this season.
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Declaring a National Puffy Taco Day
- Missions to Transform into Puffy Tacos for Three Games in May
- Alamo Irish Classic Returns to Wolff Stadium
- Elmore Sports Group, Bowie State University Form Partnership to Promote Diversity in Minor League Baseball
- San Antonio Missions to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 15