Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers
Fresno, California - The Omaha Storm Chasers (34-35) stormed back from a 7-2 deficit to beat the Lowriders de Fresno (33-35) 8-7 from Chukchansi Park. On the shoulders of reliever Ben Lively, Omaha plated six unanswered runs to enjoy a comeback victory. Lively hurled four and one third shutout frames, allowing three hits and striking out three. He earned his fourth win in the process.
With a five-run disadvantage, the Storm Chasers notched four runs in the fifth inning and one in each of the next two frames. Three singles and a Ryan O'Hearn double highlighted the inning. O'Hearn would later tally the go-ahead run in the seventh on a single by Bubba Starling. Samir Duenez went deep for Omaha, a two-run blast in the second. It was his fifth of the season. Gabe Speier secured his first save as a Storm Chaser.
The Lowriders bats revved up in the second on a Raudy Read two-run shot to left field. It was Read's ninth of the 2019 campaign. Later, Fresno started cruising after a five-run fifth. Jose Marmolejos showed his wheels with a two-RBI triple, his first of the year. Then, Marmolejos raced home on a Matt Reynolds single. Finally, Taylor Gushue powered a pitch to left field, knocking in a pair. It was his fifth homer of the season.
Unfortunately, the Lowriders stalled after Lively took over with two outs in the fourth. Brandon Snyder and Andrew Stevenson belted two hits apiece with Snyder recording a pair of runs. Scott Copeland (4-4) suffered the decision. Erick Mejia mustered three hits for Omaha as well in the victory.
Top Performers: Lowriders de Fresno (Washington Nationals)
- C Taylor Gushue (1-2, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- 1B Jose Marmolejos (1-3, 3B, 2 RBI, R)
- RF/C Brandon Snyder (2-4, 2 R)
Top Performers: Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City Royals)
- RHP Ben Lively (4.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K)
- 1B Ryan O'Hearn (3-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI, R)
- SS Erick Mejia (3-5, 2B, RBI, R, SB)
- DH Samir Duenez (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday June 16 Omaha Storm Chasers (Home) RHP Paolo Espino (Fresno) vs. RHP Scott Blewitt (Omaha) 5:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Five of Fresno's last six games have been decided by one run (2-3). Six of their last eight have been decided by a run (3-3) and eight of their last 12 games as well by the one-run variety (4-4).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.