Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds (29-41) erased a 7-1 deficit with a six-spot in the bottom of the sixth, but the Las Vegas Aviators (Athletics) scored three runs in the top of the ninth and earned an 11-8 win Sunday afternoon at AutoZone Park.
Not only did Memphis tie the game after trailing 7-1, but the Redbirds then equaled Las Vegas at 8 after falling behind 8-7.
In a tale of two halves of a game, Jake Woodford allowed seven runs on 10 hits in less than three innings, but he settled in and retired the last 10 Aviators he faced through 6.0 innings.
Trailing 7-1, Memphis sent 10 men to the plate in the sixth and tied the game at 7. John Nogowski and Conner Capel had back-to-back run-scoring doubles, and Kramer Robertson followed with an RBI single to make the score 7-5. Yariel Gonzalez brought the Redbirds all the way back with his first Triple-A hit, which was a two-run home run to right field.
Las Vegas (38-32) came out in the top of the seventh and scored to make it 8-7, but the Redbirds did not give up. Robertson singled, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, went to third on a ground ball to the right side, and scored on a Randy Arozarena ground-rule double.
But the Aviators plated three runs in the top of the ninth to open an 11-8 lead, and the Redbirds went down in order to end the game.
Arozarena was on base four times with two doubles, and Capel had two doubles as well.
Memphis and Las Vegas continue their series tomorrow night at 6:35. The four-game set runs through an 11:05 a.m. game on Tuesday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Monday, June 17 at 6:35: the Redbirds will take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series
Tuesday, June 18 at 11:05 a.m.: a special day game with members of various summer camps in attendance, and additional summer camps interested in attending can call (901) 721-6000
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- AutoZone Park Set to Host St. Louis Cardinals Caravan
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game