Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills
SACRAMENTO, CA - The Iowa Cubs (38-32) beat the Sacramento River Cats (36-33) by a final score of 1-0 in a pitcher's duel Sunday afternoon at Raley Field.
Both starters in the game recorded quality starts for their respective teams, making it Alec Mills' third in his last four games and second consecutive quality start.
Mills gave Iowa six innings of three hit ball walking two River Cats batters while striking out five. In his last four outings, the righty has thrown 23 innings and allowed just five earned runs to the tune of a 1.96 ERA.
Andrew Suárez gave Sacramento eight solid innings of four-hit ball, however one of those hits was a Trent Giambrone solo home run. Giambrone's solo home run broke the scoreless tie in the eighth inning and was all the I-Cubs needed.
Tony Barnette, Danny Hultzen, and Dakota Mekkes combined to throw a scoreless final three innings for Iowa to give the I-Cubs their third shutout of the year and win the game by a final tally of 1-0.
- Trent Giambrone got Iowa on the board with a solo home run in the eighth inning, his third home run in as many games.
- Today's one-run win made it the fourth game of Iowa's last five decided by just one run.
- Jim Adduci extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a single in the fourth inning.
- Tony Barnette threw a perfect seventh inning, making it seven straight outings since being with Iowa on June 1st without allowing an earned run. The righty has thrown 6.1 innings allowing just one hit and one walk while striking out six over that span.
The I-Cubs continue game three of the four-game set as they take on Sacramento Monday night at 9:05 p.m. CT. Follow the team on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.