Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies
Storm Chasers first baseman Ryan O'Hearn smashed three hits, including two doubles, designated hitter Samir Duenez homered and the bullpen duo of Ben Lively and Gabe Speier combined for five-plus scoreless innings in Omaha's 8-7 comeback victory over the Fresno Grizzlies on Saturday night at at Chukchansi Park.
Both teams traded a pair of tallies in the second frame, with the Storm Chasers striking first courtesy of Duenez's two-run shot. Fresno two innings later, however, would plate five runs to grab a 7-2 advantage, highlighted by Taylor Gushue's two-run homer. Omaha would immediately answer, though, via a four-run fifth inning that included O'Hearn's two-run double to right, cutting the deficit to one. The Storm Chasers would then take advantage of two Grizzlies miscues to take the lead for good, with Elier Hernandez scoring on a passed ball and O'Hearn coming across on an error.
O'Hearn (3-5, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI) and SS Erick Mejia (3-5, R, RBI) each posted a game-high three hits, with Fresno CF Andrew Stevenson (2-5) and RF Brandon Snyder (2-4, 2 R) adding multi-hit efforts. O'Hearn's big game came after being activated to Omaha's roster prior to the contest after being optioned to the Storm Chasers from Kansas City.
Neither team's starting pitcher, Omaha's Foster Griffin (3.2 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 2 K) nor Fresno's Kevin McGowan (5.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 K) factored in the final decisions. Lively (4.1 IP, 3 H, 3 K) and Speier (1.0 IP, H, K) joined forces for 5.1 excellent frames of support, with the former earning his fourth win and the latter notching his first Triple-A save. Grizzlies reliever Scott Copeland (2.0 IP, H, R, 3 K) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are set to meet again on Sunday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT. RHP Scott Blewett (5-5, 6.03) is anticipated to get the nod for the Storm Chasers, while RHP Paolo Espino (6-2, 5.30) is slated to start for the Grizzlies.
Following their seven-game road trip, Omaha returns to Werner Park to begin a four-game homestand versus the San Antonio Missions on Thursday, June 20. First pitch of the series opener is scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Storm Chasers, Werner Park Activities Suspended Indefinitely
- Chasers President Receiving Brett Award
- Storm Chasers, Union Omaha to Host St. Paddy's at the Park
- Storm Chasers Announce Theme, Promo and Group Nights
- Storm Chasers, Union Omaha to Host St. Patty's at the Park