Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory
El Paso, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers scored six runs in the top of the first inning and piled up 11 runs and 16 hits to open their series with an 11-3 victory over the El Paso Chihuahuas Saturday night at Southwest University Park.
The win was the team's fifth straight overall and ninth straight on the road, further extending the current club record. For the third time in four games on their road trip, the Dodgers scored at least 10 runs and have reached at least 11 in hits in all four games.
The Dodgers (28-39) emphatically opened the game with a six-run rally in the first inning. They tallied seven hits within the game's first eight batters and sent 11 batters to the plate before the side was retired. The Dodgers were also aided by two errors by the Chihuahuas.
Two batters into the game, the Dodgers led 2-0 when Zach Reks smoked a two-run homer to right-center field for his fifth dinger in the last eight games.
Cameron Perkins picked up a RBI on a fielder's choice, and two batters later the bases were loaded with one out. Errol Robinson hit a two-run single up the middle, and a throwing error by El Paso first baseman Aderlin Rodriguez allowed an additional run to score and make it 6-0.
The Dodgers scored twice more in the second inning. With runners at second and third base with two outs, a pitch got past El Paso catcher Francisco Mejia. As Edwin RÃ-os was crossing the plate, Mejia's throw hit RÃ-os in the upper body and deflected toward the Dodgers dugout. Perkins astutely sprinted home and scored without a throw, pushing the lead to 8-0.
The Chihuahuas (42-26) got on the board in the bottom of the third with a RBI single by Michael Gettys, but the Dodgers got the run back in the next inning. Will Smith drilled homer to right-center field, as he went deep for a third consecutive game.
A RBI groundout by Robinson in the fifth inning gave OKC its largest lead of the night at 10-1.
Solo home runs by Jason Vosler and Ty France in the fifth and sixth innings, respectively, cut the Dodgers' lead to 10-3.
The Dodgers scored their final run of the night when Shane Peterson hit a solo home run in the seventh inning. Peterson finished with a game-high and season-high four hits, going 4-for-5 with a home run, double and three runs scored.
Peterson was one of six Dodgers who finished with a multi-hit game. Robinson led all players with three RBI, tying his season high.
OKC starting pitcher Brock Stewart (2-4) turned in his longest outing of the season, lasting 5.2 innings. He allowed three runs and eight hits, with one walk and three strikeouts to earn his second consecutive win.
El Paso starting pitcher Kyle McGrath (3-2) was bounced after just one inning. He allowed six runs and six hits, with one walk and one strikeout in taking the loss.
The Dodgers and Chihuahuas next meet at 7:05 p.m. Central time Sunday at Southwest University Park. Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chasers Come Back for 8-7 Win over Grizzlies - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Come through in the Seventh - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Espino and Lowriders cruise to 8-1 win on Father's Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- Isotopes Back in the Win Column with 7-6 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Defeat NOLA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Prevails in 6-3 Victory over Tacoma - Round Rock Express
- Long Drives in Two, Rainiers Drop Fourth-Straight in Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Early Offense Helps Bees over Sounds - Salt Lake Bees
- Left-hander Suarez goes eight innings, River Cats on wrong end of a 1-0 final score - Sacramento River Cats
- Seven-Run Second Haunts Sounds in Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Evens Series Behind Giambrone and Mills - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Twice, End up on Wrong End of 11-8 Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Missions' Big-Inning Plagues Aces - Reno Aces
- Missions Double Down on Father's Day - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (28-40) vs. Salt Lake Bees (30-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-40) vs Las Vegas Aviators (37-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Claiming a Wild Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Erase Deficit, Fall in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Lowriders run out of gas in 8-7 defeat to Storm Chasers - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Tripped by Oklahoma City - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Score Early and Often in 11-3 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Late Rally Comes up Short in Nashville - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Sixth Annual Fan Fest March 28
- OKC Dodgers Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now