Late Push by Tucson Overtakes Early Stars Advantage
TUCSON, Arizona - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, held the lead three times during the first and second periods tonight at Tucson Arena, but four unanswered goals from the Tucson Roadrunners sealed a 6-3 final score.
After surrendering the first goal of the game for the last three contests, Texas wasted no time to find the score sheet. Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther jumped up in the play and found an opening on the right side of the ice. Colin Markison found him with a cross ice pass and Bayreuther hammered the shot off of Roadrunners goaltender Hunter Miska before tapping the rebound into the net. Bayreuther's fourth goal of the season opened the scoring a little more than three minutes into the contest.
The lead held through the first period but Tucson's night was just beginning. The Stars lead was matched by Kyle Capobianco with his first of two goals 2:53 into the second period. The Stars powered back to regain the advantage 8:22 into the middle period. Nicholas Caamano forced a turnover at the offensive line and pushed a pass across to Denis Gurianov on the right hash-mark. The winger rifled a shot past Miska to give Texas a 2-1 lead.
Three minutes later Michael Bunting put a shot under the cross bar from the goal line to tie the game again. The Stars responded less than three minutes later with a power play goal. Michael Mersch deflected a shot at the top of the crease to give the Stars the advantage back. Ben Gleason and Gurianov notched assists on the goal as Texas ended the game 1-for-3 on the power play.
Roadrunners forward Lane Pederson tied the game for the third time on a rebound goal with three and a half minutes left in the period. Bunting carried the puck to the net and touched it off the pads of Landon Bow before Pederson cleaned up the rebound.
In the third period, the Roadrunners turned the page on the Stars, and collected three goals, including an empty net tally. Hunter Fasching, Capobianco, and David Ullstrom each recorded goals to take the win. The Stars and Roadrunners will face off again on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. MST (8:00 p.m. CST) as Texas concludes their five-game road trip.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
1. Hudson Fasching (TUC)
2. Michael Bunting (TUC)
3. Kyle Capobianco (TUC)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, battle the Roadrunners again on Wednesday, Jan. 23 to conclude their five-game road trip. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- San Diego Tops Reign, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
- Bad Bounces Down T-Birds in Overtime against Laval - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Glass Tough in Gulls' Win - San Diego Gulls
- Late Push by Tucson Overtakes Early Stars Advantage - Texas Stars
- Providence Tops Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Carey's Hat Trick Leads P-Bruins over Pack 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Iowa Ends Homestand with 4-1 Win against Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Bears Mourn Loss of Hall of Famer George 'Red' Sullivan - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Carrick and Kloos to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Defeat Lehigh Valley in Overtime, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Begin Nine-Game Homestand Tuesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Huntebrinker Scores First AHL Goal as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Koivula scores Bridgeport's lone goal in Monday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Down Devils, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Hang on for 2-1 Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Blast Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Assign Jones to Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Game #37 Preview: Tucson vs. Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins to Support Federal Workers with Free Ticket Offer - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba's Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Matt Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host Colorado for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Thunderbirds Look to Remain Unbeaten All Time vs. Rocket Monday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Reassign Cederholm, Release Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Add Two Players to the Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Host Hershey at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.