Thunderbirds Look to Remain Unbeaten All Time vs. Rocket Monday Night
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (19-14-5-4) will look to pick up their 20th win of the season Monday night as they host the Laval Rocket (18-17-3-4) for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop on Monday night inside the MassMutual Center. The game was originally scheduled for a 1:05 p.m. start, but the game's start was postponed due to inclement weather.
All fans who possess tickets to the 1:05 p.m. start time will still receive entry to the 7:05 p.m. start time. If fans holding 1:05 p.m. tickets are unable to attend the 7:05 p.m. game, they may contact the Thunderbirds ticket office at (413) 739-4625 to receive tickets to another weekday game in the 2018-19 regular season* (some exclusions may apply*).
Monday night marks the return of former Thunderbird Alex Grenier, who represented Springfield in the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic in Utica. In his first season with his hometown Rocket, Grenier has posted eight goals to go along with five assists.
Springfield has never lost to the Rocket in the two clubs' brief history, going 4-0-0-0 in the prior four meetings. The Thunderbirds swept the Rocket in a two-game weekend in Laval on Oct. 19 and 20, winning by respective final scores of 5-3 and 4-2. The Rocket, however, come into Springfield having earned points in nine of their last ten games played, going 6-1-1-2 in that stretch.
The Thunderbirds are coming off perhaps their finest defensive effort of the 2018-19 season on Saturday night in Hartford. Chris Driedger backstopped Springfield to a 3-0 win, making 40 saves in his first shutout performance since Oct. 15, 2016. Offensively, Jacob MacDonald became only the second Thunderbirds defenseman all-time to hit double digits in goals for a season, as his 10th of the campaign doubled as his team-leading fourth game-winning tally. Jake Horton added an insurance goal before Tomas Jurco secured his first goal and point as a Thunderbird with an empty-netter late in regulation.
Monday night marks the final home game for Springfield until after the Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield, which kicks off on Sunday, Jan. 27 with the AHL All-Star Skills Competition at 7:00 p.m. ET. Limited tickets remain for the two-day event and can be purchased online at www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com/AllStar or by calling (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
Following Monday night's action, the Thunderbirds return to Hartford to tangle with the Wolf Pack once again. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday night from the XL Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- San Diego Tops Reign, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
- Bad Bounces Down T-Birds in Overtime against Laval - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Glass Tough in Gulls' Win - San Diego Gulls
- Late Push by Tucson Overtakes Early Stars Advantage - Texas Stars
- Providence Tops Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Carey's Hat Trick Leads P-Bruins over Pack 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Iowa Ends Homestand with 4-1 Win against Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Bears Mourn Loss of Hall of Famer George 'Red' Sullivan - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Carrick and Kloos to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Defeat Lehigh Valley in Overtime, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Begin Nine-Game Homestand Tuesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Huntebrinker Scores First AHL Goal as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Koivula scores Bridgeport's lone goal in Monday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Down Devils, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Hang on for 2-1 Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Blast Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Assign Jones to Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Game #37 Preview: Tucson vs. Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins to Support Federal Workers with Free Ticket Offer - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba's Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Matt Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host Colorado for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Thunderbirds Look to Remain Unbeaten All Time vs. Rocket Monday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Reassign Cederholm, Release Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Add Two Players to the Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Host Hershey at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks
- T-Birds Visit Hartford & Bridgeport in Important Road Weekend
- Florida Panthers Reassign F Patrick Bajkov to Springfield
- Florida Panthers Loan G Sam Montembeault to Springfield