Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 1 p.m.
(Bridgeport, CT) - Today, the Hershey Bears battle the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, American Hockey League affiliate for the New York Islanders, in a 1 pm. road tilt. The game was originally scheduled for Jan. 20 at 3 p.m. before its postponement. .
Hershey Bears (19-20-0-2) at Bridgeport Sound Tigers (23-14-4-2)
January 21, 2019 | 1 PM | Game 42 | Webster Bank Arena
Referees: Brandon Blandina (39), Mathieu Menniti (30)
Linesmen: Nicolas Briganti (58), Eric Ernst (24)
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 12:30 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV, Caps Radio 24/7
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bears are coming off a 5-3 win over the rival Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at the Mohegan Sun Arena on Saturday. The victory pushed Hershey's win streak to a season-high four games. Jayson Megna scored twice, and Mike Sgarbossa, Shane Gersich, and Riley Barber also added goals for the Chocolate and White. Hershey went 3-for-8 on the power play, and added just their second shorthanded goal of the season. Ilya Samsonov stopped 22 shots between the pipes to earn his third straight win in goal. The Sound Tigers are also coming off a victory on Saturday as they defeated Providence 4-3 in a shootout. Ben Holmstrom scored at :25 and 3:10 of the third period to pull Bridgeport into a 3-3 tie, and former Bear Chris Bourque and Tanner Fritz scored in the shootout to secure the win. Former Bear Ryan Bourque also had two assists in the victory.
Hershey forward Jayson Megna continued his hot hand versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with a three-point performance on Saturday. Megna's two goals and an assist gave him his fourth AHL three-point game, and his first since Apr. 15, 2016. Six of Megna's nine goals have come versus the Penguins, and his first tally on Saturday snapped a 14-game goalless drought that dated back to Dec. 9 versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
APPLES FOR AARON:
Saturday's game in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was a milestone night for defender Aaron Ness. The former captain of the Sound Tigers had three assists to give him 100 points (18 goals, 82 assists) in his 205-game tenure with the Chocolate and White. For Ness, it also marked the first time he collected three assists in a single game during his 485 career games in the AHL. He's only the third Bear to post three assists in a game this season, joining rookie forward Garrett Pilon and fellow defender Colby Williams. Ness' 24 assists rank fourth among all defenders the AHL, and he is just two points from matching his best season as a Bear, which was a 29-point campaign in 55 games last season.
SCORING SGARBS IS STREAKING:
With a goal and two assists on Saturday, Hershey forward Mike Sgarbossa pushed his point streak to five games. He's racked up seven points (three goals, four assists) in that stretch. The Ontario native leads the Bears in goals with 18, just one away from his career-high 19 goals scored during his rookie season with Lake Erie in 2012-13. He ranks second on the Bears in power play goals (seven) and points (34). He scored in Hershey's previous game versus Bridgeport on Oct. 7.
BRING ON BOURQUE:
The Bears battle familiar faces Chris and Ryan Bourque in today's contest. Ryan, who has 10 points (three goals, seven assists) played with the Chocolate and White for parts of two seasons from 2016-17. Legendary Bear Chris has the most points of any Sound Tiger on the active roster with 26 (seven goals, 19 assists). He hasn't scored since Dec. 21, but has racked up seven assists in that 12-game span. Chris, a three-time Calder Cup winner with Hershey, scored in the earlier meeting between the Bears and Sound Tigers on Oct. 7 at Giant Center. He has three goals in five career games versus Hershey in the regular season, and an impressive 17 points (six goals, 11 assists) in 11 playoff games versus the Chocolate and White.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- San Diego Tops Reign, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
- Bad Bounces Down T-Birds in Overtime against Laval - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Glass Tough in Gulls' Win - San Diego Gulls
- Late Push by Tucson Overtakes Early Stars Advantage - Texas Stars
- Providence Tops Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Carey's Hat Trick Leads P-Bruins over Pack 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Iowa Ends Homestand with 4-1 Win against Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Bears Mourn Loss of Hall of Famer George 'Red' Sullivan - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Carrick and Kloos to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Defeat Lehigh Valley in Overtime, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Begin Nine-Game Homestand Tuesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Huntebrinker Scores First AHL Goal as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Koivula scores Bridgeport's lone goal in Monday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Down Devils, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Hang on for 2-1 Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Blast Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Assign Jones to Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Game #37 Preview: Tucson vs. Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins to Support Federal Workers with Free Ticket Offer - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba's Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Matt Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host Colorado for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Thunderbirds Look to Remain Unbeaten All Time vs. Rocket Monday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Reassign Cederholm, Release Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Add Two Players to the Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Host Hershey at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Rally Late, Head into All-Star Break with Shootout Win at Providence
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m.
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM