Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton
STOCKTON, CA. - Colorado Eagles goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 34 of the 35 shots he faced and denied three of Stockton's five shooters in a shootout to propel the Eagles to a 2-1 victory over the Heat on Monday. A.J. Greer netted Colorado's lone goal in regulation, while the Eagles penalty kill rose to the occasion to finish 5-for-6 against a Stockton power-play unit that came into the afternoon ranked fourth in the AHL.
Colorado netted the game's first goal when Greer followed up his own rebound on a shot from the left-wing circle and flicked the puck into the net from the side of the crease. The tally was Greer's 11th goal of the season and gave the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 9:52 mark of the first period.
Heading into the second frame, a power play for the Heat would lead to a game-tying goal when forward Glen Gawdin deflected a shot past Martin to square the score at 1-1 at the 8:16 mark of the second period.
Both teams would throw 16 shots on net in the second stanza, but some sensational saves from Martin and Stockton goalie Tyler Parsons would send the teams to the second intermission deadlocked at 1-1.
The third period would see Colorado kill off three different power plays for the Heat, as Martin punctuated the final 20 minutes with several spectacular stops in net.
With a winner not decided through 60 minutes of regulation, the contest would then shift to a five-minute, sudden-death overtime. The Eagles would fire three shots on Parsons, while Stockton responded with four shots in the extra session. However, neither goaltender would concede the game-winner, sending the contest into a shootout.
Michael Joly, Martin Kaut and Greer all lit the lamp in the shootout, as Martin stopped three of the Heat's five shooters to secure the 2-1 win. Stockton outshot Colorado, 35-31 in the contest as the Eagles finished the afternoon going 0-for-3 on the man-advantage.
Colorado continues its season-long, six-game road trip against the Bakersfield Condors at Rabobank Arena on Wednesday, January 23rd at 7:30pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- San Diego Tops Reign, 4-1 - Ontario Reign
- Bad Bounces Down T-Birds in Overtime against Laval - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Glass Tough in Gulls' Win - San Diego Gulls
- Late Push by Tucson Overtakes Early Stars Advantage - Texas Stars
- Providence Tops Wolf Pack, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Martin Dazzles in 2-1 Shootout Win at Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Carey's Hat Trick Leads P-Bruins over Pack 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Iowa Ends Homestand with 4-1 Win against Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Bears Mourn Loss of Hall of Famer George 'Red' Sullivan - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Carrick and Kloos to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Defeat Lehigh Valley in Overtime, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Begin Nine-Game Homestand Tuesday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Huntebrinker Scores First AHL Goal as Phantoms Earn Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Koivula scores Bridgeport's lone goal in Monday loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Down Devils, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Hang on for 2-1 Win over Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Blast Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Hershey Bears
- Oilers Assign Jones to Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Game #37 Preview: Tucson vs. Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins to Support Federal Workers with Free Ticket Offer - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba's Eric Comrie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Matt Luff Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat Host Colorado for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Thunderbirds Look to Remain Unbeaten All Time vs. Rocket Monday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Reassign Cederholm, Release Mingo - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Add Two Players to the Roster - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Host Hershey at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.