Grizzlies Weekly: Grizz Home for Big 3 Game Series
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies return to Maverik Center for a 3 game series on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday against the defending Kelly Cup champion Newfoundland Growlers.
Friday the 13th is the annual Teddy Bear Toss presented by Ford. Fans will throw a teddy bear or stuffed animal on the ice after the Grizzlies first goal. Last Saturday on Rapid City's Teddy Bear Toss night Grizzlies goaltender Brad Barone stole the show, getting a 24 save shutout against his former team. It was Barone's first ECHL shutout. He had 4 clean sheets while playing in the SPHL.
Tim McGauley played a starring role for the Grizzlies last weekend in Rapid City as the Grizz got 3 out of 4 standings points. McGauley had a hat trick last Friday. It was his first hat trick since game 4 of the 2019 Kelly Cup playoffs vs Idaho. It was the third hat trick by a Grizzlies skater. Josh Dickinson had back to back hat tricks on October 16th and 18th. McGauley had 4 goals and 1 assist in 2 games last weekend. Tim was a plus 5 in the 2 games. He currently leads the team in points, assists, and plus/minus.
Griffen Molino had a great weekend in Rapid City. He had 5 assists in 2 games vs Rapid City. Molino, along with McGauley were each a plus - 5 in the plus/minus category. Molino is 2nd on the club with a +10 this season. Molino has 9 assists this season, which is tied with Ryan Wagner for 2nd on the team.
Brandon Saigeon has played some great hockey as of late. He has 4 goals and 1 assist in his last 4 games. Saigeon was a +3 last weekend.
Next homestand for the Grizzlies is on December 11th, 13th and 14th against the defending champion Newfoundland Growlers. It's a match-up of 2 hot teams. Grizz are 6-3-1 in the last 10 contests, while Newfoundland is 7-3 in their last 10.
Tickets are available now at utahgrizzlies.com, the Maverik Center box office or by calling (801) 988-8000. You can also get tickets at any Smith's Tix location.
December 11th Newfoundland at Utah - Wild Wednesday and Bud Light College Night. Tickets start at $6 for students and drink specials.
December 13th Newfoundland at Utah - Teddy Bear Toss Presented by Ford. Friday the 13th = 13 dollar tickets. KSL Quarters for Christmas.
December 14th Newfoundland at Utah - Star Wars Night (Specialty jersey's).
Last Week's Games
December 6th - Utah 4 Rapid City 5 (Overtime) - Tim McGauley 3 goals. Griffen Molino 3 assists. Ty Lewis 2 assists. Utah outshot Rapid City 31 to 30. Rapid City's Peter Quenneville got the game winner 40 seconds into overtime.
December 7th - Utah 3 Rapid City 0 - Brad Barone 24 save shutout. Tim McGauley and Brandon Saigeon each had 1 goal and 1 assist. Griffen Molino had 2 assists. Joe Wegwerth had 1 goal.
Forwards Tim McGauley and Ty Lewis were each reassisgned to the Grizzlies from the AHL's Colorado Eagles on December 6th. McGauley had 4 goals and 1 assist in 2 games last weekend in Rapid City. McGauley leads the team in assists (11), Points (17) and Plus/minus (+13). Lewis had 2 assists on December 6th at RC. Lewis has 1 goal and 3 assists in 6 games this season for the Grizz.
Grizzlies Among League Leaders: Defenseman Taylor Richart has 6 goals this season, tied for most among defenseman. Patrick McGrath leads the league in penalty minutes with 77.
So Many Close Games
The Grizzlies have played in 21 games this season. 14 of those games have been 1 goal contests. 7 of the last 9 games have been decided by 1 goal with 5 of those games ending past regulation.
2019-2020 Regular Season Totals
Overall record: 9-8-3-1
Home record: 5-4-1.
Road record: 4-4-2-1.
Last 10 games: Utah is 5-4-1
Goals per game: 3.24 (12th in the league).
Goals against per game: 3.14 (Tied 11th).
Shots per game: 30.67 (15th).
Shots against per game: 28.33 (4th).
Power play: 19.6 % (Tied 9th).
Penalty Kill: 84.3 % (9th).
Scoring By Period
First Period: Utah 19 Opponents 19.
Second Period: Utah 27 Opponents 24.
Third Period: Utah 18 Opponents 19.
Total Scoring: Utah 68 Opponents 66.
Previous Week's Record: Utah went 1-0-1
This Week's Games: Utah hosts Newfoundland on December 11th, 13th and 14th.
Goals: Josh Dickinson (9)
Assists: Tim McGauley (11)
Points: McGauley (17)
Plus/Minus: McGauley (+13)
PIM: Patrick McGrath (77) - Leads league.
Power Play Points: Travis Barron (8)
Shots on Goal: Taylor Richart (66)
Game Winning Goals: Yuri Terao (2)
Wins: Jeff Smith (3)
Save %: Hunter Miska (.947)
Goals Against Average: Miska (1.62)
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies huddle up to celebrate a goal
Utah Grizzlies celebrate a goal against the Florida Everblades
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2019
- IceMen Acquire Defenseman Luke Shiplo from Wichita - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Acquire Cory Ward from Cyclones - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Acquire Schmalz from Worcester - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Walleye Weekly: Friday, Star Wars Night Is. Yeesssssss. - Toledo Walleye
- Shiplo Dealt to Jacksonville - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 9 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Week 9 Pit Stop - Indy Fuel
- 'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Start of Long Homestand - Florida Everblades
- Captain Garrett Mitchell on Royals Radio Recon Tuesday - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: Closing the Points Gap - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Trades Ouellette - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Defenseman Youds Signs Tryout Agreement with Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 9 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Weekly, December 9 - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Home Twice this Weekend, Including Appearance from Gritty - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Grizz Home for Big 3 Game Series - Utah Grizzlies
- Stanley Cup to Appear December 29 - Toledo Walleye
- Lightning Reassign Huntington to Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Winter Brewfest at Hensville - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 9 - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.