K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 9
Kalamazoo prepares for four games in five days, starting Wednesday in Cincinnati and wrapping up with return home Sunday afternoon.
OVERALL RECORD: 7-11-2
LAST WEEK: 1-1-0
Friday, Dec. 6 - Wheeling 6, Kalamazoo 2 (WesBanco Arena - Wheeling, WV) | Box Score
>> The Kalamazoo Wings started a five-game road trip with an early goal from Yannick Veilleux 2:51 into Friday's game at WesBanco Arena. However, the Nailers scored three straight goals on three consecutive odd-man rushes to lead 3-1 by the 5:19 mark of the first period. Zach Saar helped the K-Wings close the gap with a power play goal before the end of the frame. Wheeling added a short-handed goal and a late second period marker to go up 5-2 entering the third, and Brandon Hawkins completed a hat trick with a power play goal late in regulation to complete the scoring.
Saturday, Dec. 7 - Kalamazoo 4, Wheeling 1 (WesBanco Arena - Wheeling, WV) | Box Score
>> The K-Wings responded in a big way with two goals in the first 6:33 of the opening period and held the Nailers to just one shot in the first 20 minutes. Boston Leier scored a power play goal 3:15 into the game and Matt VanVoorhis made it 2-0 with his first pro goal minutes later. Jake Kielly, who saw only one shot in the first, stopped seven in the second period and 16 of 17 in the third in the 4-1 victory. Ben Wilson made it 3-0 in the second period when he tapped in a centering pass on a 3-on-1 rush. The Nailers spoiled Kielly's shutout bid with 10:05 to play, but Leier added an empty net goal for his second of the game to seal Kalamazoo's bounce-back win.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Wednesday, Dec. 11 - Kalamazoo AT Cincinnati, 7:35 p.m. - Heritage Bank Center (Cincinnati, OH)
Friday, Dec. 13 - Kalamazoo AT Cincinnati, 7:35 p.m. - Heritage Bank Center (Cincinnati, OH)
Saturday, Dec. 14 - Kalamazoo AT Indy, 6:05 p.m. - Indiana Farmers Coliseum (Indianapolis, IN)
Sunday, Dec. 15 - Cincinnati vs. Kalamazoo, 3:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
- Yannick Veilleux has a 5-game point streak (2g, 4a) for the second time this season.
- Boston Leier recorded his first career three-point game (2g, 1a) Saturday at Wheeling.
- Eric Kattelus has seven assists in his first six games of the season, including three multi-assist games.
- Three of Kalamazoo's last four wins have come against Wheeling.
- The Nailers 1 shot in Saturday's first period was the fewest the K-Wings have allowed in a period.
- The only division opponent Kalamazoo hasn't faced is Indy...until Saturday's meeting in Indianapolis.
POINTS: 22 - Dylan Sadowy
GOALS: 13 - Sadowy
ASSISTS: 11 - Yannick Veilleux
PLUS/MINUS: +3 - Ian Edmondson, Tyler Ganly, Luke Sandler
PIMS: 67 - Sandler
PP GOALS: 6 - Sadowy
SH GOALS: 1 - Brennan Sanford, Tanner Sorenson
GW GOALS: 2 - Sadowy
SHOTS: 58 - Matheson Iacopelli, Sadowy, Veilleux
WINS: 4 - Jake Hildebrand
GAA: 3.43 - Hildebrand
SAVE %: .891 - Hildebrand
POWER PLAY: Overall - 14/87 (16.1%) - 14th in ECHL
Last Week - 2/13 (15.4%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 73/95 (76.8%) - 25th in ECHL
Last Week - 9/10 (90.0%)
SUNDAY, DEC. 15 - PUCKS AND PAWS
There's a 14/10 chance you (and your dogs) will have a great time at our annual "Pucks and Paws Game", as the Kalamazoo Wings welcome the Cincinnati Cyclones at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15. Make sure to check out the dog race on the ice during the first intermission, and hang around after the game for a postgame skate with the players. Dog tickets are $5.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2019
- IceMen Acquire Defenseman Luke Shiplo from Wichita - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Acquire Cory Ward from Cyclones - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Acquire Schmalz from Worcester - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Walleye Weekly: Friday, Star Wars Night Is. Yeesssssss. - Toledo Walleye
- Shiplo Dealt to Jacksonville - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 9 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Fuel Week 9 Pit Stop - Indy Fuel
- 'Blades Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Highlights Start of Long Homestand - Florida Everblades
- Captain Garrett Mitchell on Royals Radio Recon Tuesday - Reading Royals
- Mariners Weekly: Closing the Points Gap - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Trades Ouellette - Atlanta Gladiators
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Defenseman Youds Signs Tryout Agreement with Rockford - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 9 - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Weekly, December 9 - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Home Twice this Weekend, Including Appearance from Gritty - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Grizz Home for Big 3 Game Series - Utah Grizzlies
- Stanley Cup to Appear December 29 - Toledo Walleye
- Lightning Reassign Huntington to Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Winter Brewfest at Hensville - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 9 - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.