Four Unanswered Goals Carry Royals over Mariners
PORTLAND, ME - The Reading Royals responded to a 1-0 deficit with four goals in a row on their way to a 4-1 win on Wednesday night at the Cross Insurance Arena. With their win, the Royals staved off elimination and jumped the Mariners for fifth place in the North Division standings. The Mariners remain in contention for the postseason, with three games remaining.
After most of the first period was scoreless, the Mariners drew first blood when Greg Chase scored a nifty wraparound goal at 14:32. Wade Murphy was called for boarding and Reading capitalized on a bit of a controversial goal at 16:46. Mariners goaltender Francois Brassard claimed he had the puck covered to his left but it eventually popped back out for Nick Luukko to blast home from the point to tie the game at one. The score was tied up at one at the end of 20 minutes.
Reading had the better chances and zone time in the 2nd and broke the tie on a two-on-one rush at 15:58. Kevin Goumas fed Josh MacDonald who one-timed it past Brassard giving Reading its first lead, which they took into the 2nd intermission.
In the third, the Royals added on with their second power play goal at 4:05 of the period, MacDonald once again the recipient. Brassard couldn't squeeze his pads and MacDonald jumped on a loose puck to make it 3-1. The Mariners pulled Brassard with just under five minutes to go and after a big stop by netminder Jamie Phillips, Chris McCarthy tipped one past Zach Tolkinen and found the empty net to seal the game.
Each team finished with 40 shots on goal, Phillips making 39 saves and Brassard, 36.
The Mariners remain three points behind Brampton, but also fell behind Reading with the loss. The Beast have to finish their season with three games against Central Division leaders Cincinnati and Toledo. Reading travels to Adirondack to start a season-ending home-and-home.
Maine will host the Worcester Railers on Friday and the Newfoundland Growlers next Sunday. In between, they finish their road schedule on Saturday in Manchester. NESN Bruins TV host and former AHL Mariners broadcaster Dale Arnold will make an appearance on Friday. Tickets to all home games are available at MarinersOfMaine.com or at the Trusted Choice Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena. The Trusted Choice Box Office can be reached at 207-775-3468.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2019
- Fuel Rally in Comeback Win over the Komets to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Clinch Playoff Spot with 2-1 Overtime Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Iacobellis Scores in OT Loss to Wings - Wichita Thunder
- Bolton's Goal Caps off Thrilling Win in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Hop by Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Drops 7th Straight in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Phillips Blocks 39 Shots, MacDonald Scores Twice in 4-1 Win - Reading Royals
- Cincinnati Clinches 2018-19 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Cyclones Claim Brabham Cup - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs on Brink of Playoffs with 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Four Unanswered Goals Carry Royals over Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Sheppard Recalled to Charlotte; Cox Returns from Laval - Florida Everblades
- Tickets Now on Sale for First Two Solar Bears Playoff Home Games - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Alex Breton Named to All-ECHL Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Iacobellis Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Wichita Thunder
- Tomas Sholl Named to 2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie Team - Idaho Steelheads
- Powell Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces 2018-19 All-Rookie Team - ECHL
- Chris Collins Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Kalamazoo Wings
- Sheppard Named to 2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie Team - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Ink Parker AuCoin - Orlando Solar Bears
- Greg Betzold Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month for March - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City's Betzold Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: K-Wings Look to Seize Playoff Berth in Midweek Tilt with Thunder - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Visit Maine with Chance to Rise in Standings - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.