Iacobellis Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team
Wichita, KS - Wichita Thunder forward Steven Iacobellis (YAHK-oh-bell-iss) was named to the ECHL's 2018-19 All-Rookie Team, the league announced on Wednesday.
The second-year pro is tied for first among rookies with 40 assists and is third with 60 points. He is second among rookies with 18 power-play assists and 25 power-play points and is tied for fourth with seven power-play goals.
A native of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, the 5-foot-9, 170-pound forward turned pro last year, but only appeared in 16 games due to an injury. He had seven points (3g, 4a) before getting hurt in December.
Iacobellis came to Wichita last season after playing a four-year career at UMass-Amherst where he served as the team's captain during his junior and senior campaigns. He finished with 87 points (31g-56a) in 139 career games for the Minutemen, tallying 20 or more points four straight years. He led the team with 21 points (8g-13a) during his senior year and earned an invite to Vancouver Canucks development camp.
The All-Rookie Team for 2018-19 was determined by a vote of ECHL coaches, broadcasters, media relations directors and media, who were asked to select a goaltender, two defensemen and three forwards.
A rookie is defined as a player who has played in less than 25 professional games at the "AA" level or higher prior to the start of the current season.
2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie Team
G - Tomas Sholl, Idaho Steelheads (37 gp, 25-12-0, 2.26 GAA, .928 save pct.)
D - Alex Breton, Allen Americans (53 gp, 14g, 25a, 39 pts.)
D - Derek Sheppard, Florida Everblades (57 gp, 14g, 26a, 40 pts.)
F - Chris Collins, Kalamazoo Wings (57 gp, 28g, 36a, 64 pts.)
F - Steven Iacobellis, Wichita Thunder (54 gp, 20g, 40a, 60 pts.)
F - Myles Powell, Cincinnati Cyclones (55 gp, 30g, 34a, 64 pts.)
Since the ECHL began naming the All-Rookie Team in 2000-01, 19 players selected have gone on to play in the National Hockey League: Simon Gamache (2001-02); Mike Glumac, Vern Fiddler, Adam Hauser, Jason Jaffray and Zenon Konopka (2002-03); Kevin Doell and Brian Fahey (2003-04); Joey Tenute (2004-05); Cedrick Desjardins (2006-07); David Desharnais and Anton Khudobin (2007-08); Richard Bachman (2009-10); Kael Mouillierat and Ben Street (2010-11); Philipp Grubauer (2011-12); Laurent Brossoit (2013-14); Roman Will (2014-15) and Landon Bow (2016-17).
The ECHL will announce its First-Team All-ECHL and Second-Team All-ECHL teams on Thursday.
Wichita returns home tonight to host the Kalamazoo Wings starting at 7:05 p.m.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2019
- Fuel Rally in Comeback Win over the Komets to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Clinch Playoff Spot with 2-1 Overtime Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Iacobellis Scores in OT Loss to Wings - Wichita Thunder
- Bolton's Goal Caps off Thrilling Win in Norfolk - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Hop by Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Worcester Drops 7th Straight in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Phillips Blocks 39 Shots, MacDonald Scores Twice in 4-1 Win - Reading Royals
- Cincinnati Clinches 2018-19 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- Cyclones Claim Brabham Cup - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs on Brink of Playoffs with 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Four Unanswered Goals Carry Royals over Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Sheppard Recalled to Charlotte; Cox Returns from Laval - Florida Everblades
- Tickets Now on Sale for First Two Solar Bears Playoff Home Games - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Alex Breton Named to All-ECHL Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Iacobellis Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Wichita Thunder
- Tomas Sholl Named to 2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie Team - Idaho Steelheads
- Powell Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces 2018-19 All-Rookie Team - ECHL
- Chris Collins Named to ECHL All-Rookie Team - Kalamazoo Wings
- Sheppard Named to 2018-19 ECHL All-Rookie Team - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Ink Parker AuCoin - Orlando Solar Bears
- Greg Betzold Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month for March - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City's Betzold Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: K-Wings Look to Seize Playoff Berth in Midweek Tilt with Thunder - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Visit Maine with Chance to Rise in Standings - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.