Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch got a three-point night from Greg Moore, a two-point effort from Chad Kolarik and a 36-save shutout performance from Kevin Lalande, snapping the club's four-game losing streak with a 4-0 win tonight over the Toronto Marlies at the War Memorial at Oncenter.
The Crunch got things started and scored the first goal of the game for the first time in their last four tries when Toronto's Jay Rosehill was sent to the box for boarding Nick Holden at the 8:46 mark of the first.
On the ensuing power play, Mike Ratchuk's rip from the point was alertly deflected by Moore and past James Reimer for the 1-0 Crunch lead.
Syracuse added to that lead and made it 2-0 with just 46 seconds remaining in the second stanza when Evan McGrath found the loose puck in a scrum at the top of the crease and pushed it by Reimer.
The Crunch extended their lead to 3-0 at the 6:21 mark of the third when Moore found Kolarik open in the high slot and Kolarik snapped a shot that went off the glove of Reimer and trickled over the line for the three-goal advantage.
Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins did something you don't see often with his team down by three goals when he pulled Reimer with roughly six minutes left to play and his team on the power play.
The Crunch almost capitalized twice, when Dan Fritsche's empty net bid rang of the crossbar and Kevin Harvey's long-range shot hit off the right post, but finally put the game away with just under two minutes remaining when Moore found the empty net for his second of the game to seal a 4-0 Crunch win.
The empty-netter was a shorthanded goal, the Crunch's third in the last three games, giving the club its 16th of the season and tying it for the league lead in that category with Hershey. The Crunch's record for most shorthanded goals in a single season is 19, set during the 2002-03 season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Seventh Round Pick in 2021 from Nashville Predators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to One-Year Contract
- Syracuse Crunch to Host 2019-20 Home Opener October 19
- Tampa Bay Lightning Announce Hockey Operations Department Promotions, New Hire
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 3-0