MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced
ALBANY, NY-The Albany River Rats announced today that Samantha Smith has been selected as the winner of the MVP Health Care "KidPower at School With The River Rats" essay contest.
Samantha was one of thousands of elementary school students throughout New York's Capital Region who were lucky enough to attend a River Rats "KidPower at School assembly" this year. The program featured a health talk, question and answer period, along with an autograph session with two River Rats players, "Rowdy" The Rat and MVP Health Care's mascot, "Appleby."
Following each assembly, in which students discussed the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices and keeping active through sports, audience members were invited to write a 100 word essay on what they learned from the River Rats and on their favorite ways to lead a healthy lifestyle. Samantha's enthusiasm for staying active throughout the year and choosing healthy foods every day has earned her a luxury suite for 16 of her closest friends and family at Albany's April 2nd home game against the Norfolk Admirals.
"KidPower at School with the River Rats has been such a successful program for MVP," said Ian Warda, Community Relations Coordinator for MVP Health Care. "Our goal is to get kids active and healthy at a young age. The River Rats players have been wonderful role models for kids in this region and have helped us to deliver a message on the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices early on in their lives. That message obviously resonated with kids, as evident by the inspiring essay written by 11 year-old Samantha."
MVP Health Care is committed to helping kids recognize the importance and fun of a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise and making good food choices. According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 16 percent of all children and teens in the United States are overweight. Additionally, an American Heart Association study found that 23 percent of children don't get any exercise outside of school. Being overweight and not getting enough exercise increase the risk for serious cardiovascular and other diseases throughout childhood and into adulthood. Programs like MVP Health Care KidPower at School with the River Rats can make a difference in educating children and their families on the importance of making healthy lifestyle choices.
River Rats Fan Appreciation Weekend presented by Capitaland Motors GMC-Subaru is set for April 2-3, 2010 at the Times Union Center with face-off scheduled for 7:00pm on both nights. 2010 Calder Cup playoff packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.