Bears Rally Past Albany, 6-3
HERSHEY, PA - The Bears erased a one-goal deficit with three unanswered power play goals in the third period and the home team added an empty netter to earn a 6-3 victory over the Albany River Rats in Game Two of the East Division finals on Sunday night at the Giant Center.
Andrew Gordon and Alexandre Giroux each scored twice for Hershey, which grabbed a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. Rookie Zac Dalpe led the River Rats in scoring with a goal and an assist.
The clubs will travel to Albany for Games Three and Four of the East Division finals on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7:00 p.m. at the Times Union Center.
Nick Dodge's shorthanded marker gave the River Rats a 3-2 edge just 1:16 into the third period, but the Bears responded quickly with power play strikes from Gordon and Giroux at 3:24 and 4:10, respectively. Gordon then banked in his second power play goal of the period at 9:56 to give Hershey its first two-goal lead of the series and Steve Pinizzotto added an empty-net tally at 18:22 to close-out the score-sheet.
Albany took its first lead of the game at 3:35 of the second period, when Dalpe redirected a Bryan Rodney slap shot past Bears goalie Michal Neuvirth; Dalpe's first professional playoff goal gave the River Rats a 2-1 advantage. Hershey knotted the game at 2-2 just 1:40 later, when Giroux dragged a rebound around River Rats goalie Justin Peters for first goal of the game.
Game One overtime hero Kyle Wilson set-up Hershey's first goal of the game at 10:48 of the opening period, with a centering feed to Ashton Rome for a close-range finish. Drayson Bowman responded for Albany with his second goal in as many nights at 15:37, set-up by Dalpe.
Neuvirth stopped 16-of-19 shots faced in the game to earn the win, while Peters allowed five goals on 25 shots faced and took the loss. The Bears out-shot Albany 26-19 in the game and went 3-for-7 on the power play; the River Rats went 1-for-4 on the man-advantage.
River Rats 2010 Calder Cup playoff packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2010
- Bulldogs Win Series With 3-2 Overtime Victory Over Moose - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose End Season In Overtime - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Force Game Seven - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Sizzle in Game 6 to Force Game 7 Thursday Night - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally Past Albany, 6-3 - Albany River Rats
- Monarchs Beached in Third Period - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Are the Comeback Kids, Defeat Manchester, 4-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals, Wolves Play Game 7 Monday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Stars Playoff Update #12 - Texas Stars
- Game 6 Shifts Back To Rochester Tonight - Rochester Americans
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.