Texas Stars Playoff Update #12
Texas Stars Wait Until Monday
After sweeping Rockford in the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs, Texas waits until Monday night to see who it will play in the West Division Finals. The Stars get the winner of the Chicago Wolves and Milwaukee Admirals. After the Wolves took a 3-1 series lead, the Admirals avoided elimination by winning Games 5 and 6 to force a decisive Game 7 on Monday night in Chicago. If Chicago wins, the Wolves maintain home-ice advantage and will host the Stars for Games 1 and 2. If Milwaukee wins, Texas will have home-ice advantage and host Games 1 and 2.
A Pair of Decisive Game 6s in the North Division Semifinals
Hamilton and Rochester each have a chance to close out their respective series with games on home ice. Both teams have a 3-2 series lead. If they both win today, they would meet in the North Division Finals. Hamilton will host Manitoba and Rochester will host Abbotsford.
Second Round Heating up
Albany and Hershey went to overtime in Saturday night's Game 1 of the East Division Finals at the Giant Center in Hershey. The Bears beat the River Rats 4-3 after Kyle Wilson scored 10:41 into overtime to give Hershey the win.... The Atlantic Division Finals get started today with Game 1 in Worcester. The Sharks host the Manchester Monarchs as they start their best of seven series with the first two games in Worcester.
Games for Sunday, April 25th
Game 1 - Manchester at Worcester, 3:05 (EDT) (Series 0-0)
Game 2 - Albany at Hershey, 5:00 (EDT) (HER leads series, 1-0)
Game 6 - Abbotsford at Rochester, 5:05 (CDT) (RCH leads series, 3-2)
Game 6 - Manitoba at Hamilton, 7:00 (CDT) (HAM leads series, 3-2)
SATURDAY'S SCORES: Game 1 - HERSHEY 4, Albany 3 (OT) (HER leads series, 1-0)
* Texas is the only team in the Calder Cup playoffs not to allow a goal in the first or second period of play.
* Stars Head Coach Glen Gulutzan is 40-31 all-time in the playoffs for his professional career. In 2008, he guided the ECHL's Las Vegas Wranglers to the Kelly Cup Finals, falling in six games to Cincinnati.
* In the regular season, Texas went 4-3-1-0 against Chicago and 5-3-0-0 against Milwaukee.
Four rounds, with each round slated as a best of seven series. The top four teams in each division qualify for playoffs. The teams play within their division for the first two rounds. The division winners will meet in the conference finals. The winner of the Western Conference will play the winner of the Eastern Conference for the Calder Cup. In order to take the Calder Cup, a team must win 16 games.
The Calder Cup.......
The coveted Calder Cup has been a motivational force for American Hockey League teams throughout the League's 73-year history. It is one of our sport's greatest challenges and ultimate honors to hoist the Calder Cup in victory.
The trophy is named for Frank Calder, who served as the National Hockey League's first President from 1917 to 1943. During the 1920's, Mr. Calder was instrumental in guiding hockey into the mainstream of America's major cities including Boston, New York, Detroit and Chicago, while helping in the formation of the American League.
The Calder Cup trophy itself was actually first awarded in 1938 to the Providence Reds for winning the second International-American Hockey League championship. (In 1996, George Parsons of the Syracuse Stars was presented the Calder Cup in a ceremony at the Onondaga County War Memorial, as it is believed the Stars never received a trophy for their 1937 championship.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2010
- Bulldogs Win Series With 3-2 Overtime Victory Over Moose - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose End Season In Overtime - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Force Game Seven - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Sizzle in Game 6 to Force Game 7 Thursday Night - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally Past Albany, 6-3 - Albany River Rats
- Monarchs Beached in Third Period - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Are the Comeback Kids, Defeat Manchester, 4-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals, Wolves Play Game 7 Monday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Stars Playoff Update #12 - Texas Stars
- Game 6 Shifts Back To Rochester Tonight - Rochester Americans
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.