Moose End Season In Overtime
In front of 2,791 Hamilton fans, the Manitoba Moose entered into Game 6 of the North Division Semi-Final. Manitoba needed to clench a win on the road to progress in the series as it sat 3-2 in the Hamilton Bulldogs favour. But, the Moose weren't able to pull off a comeback. They fell to the Bulldogs in overtime 3-2, in a close match-up to end their season. Cory Schneider manned the pipes for the Moose; he faced 49 shots and made 46 saves.
At, 2:35 in the first the Moose were issued their first penalty of the game. Matt Clark went to the box for tripping. However, his penalty wouldn't cost his team.
Instead, Manitoba scored their first goal, shorthanded. Yan Stastny skated down the ice with Guillaume Desbiens for a two on one. Stastny dished the puck to Desbiens who took a shot on Cedrick Desjardins. The rebound sailed into Stastny's skates; he kicked it up to his forehand and put it in the open net at 4:03 for the 1-0 lead.
Manitoba's Ryan McGinnis also went to the box at 17:35 for interference. However, this time it would cost the Moose.
Hamilton's David Desjardins scored from a one-timer on the powerplay. The pass came from P.K. Subban who faked a shot at the blue line before passing to Dejardins at 18:04 to tie the game at one.
Thirty-two seconds into the second period, Peter Olvecky skated down the ice un-touched for a breakaway but his shot was stopped. Line-mate, Marco Rosa picked off a zone clearing pass and handed it off to Olvecky in front of the net, who backhanded it in for a 2-1 lead.
Mario Bliznak received a slashing penalty ay 14:56 to the Moose on the penalty kill.
On the powerplay, at 15:26, the Bulldogs' Ryan White took a shot from the bottom of the circle that snuck in between the legs of Schneider to tie the game 2-2.
In the third, the two teams battled back and forth; each having quality shots and opportunities on net to break the deadlock tie.
The Manitoba Moose took a penalty at 12:51; Aaron Volpatti received two minutes for high sticking.
Manitoba wasn't on the penalty kill for long. The Bulldogs' Subban took a penalty at 13:23 for cross-checking in front of the Moose net.
There were five shots for the Moose in the third and nine for the Bulldogs, but neither team could capture a goal to break the 2-2 tie and the game was forced into sudden death overtime.
Eight minutes into overtime, the Moose had a close call. Schneider was down and the puck went sailing across the slot and found a Hamilton offender's stick. Dan Sexton dove in front of the open net and tipped the puck out of harm's way.
However, Manitoba's luck soon ran out. At 8:49 in the overtime period, Bulldogs' Grant Stevenson received a pass from the corner of Manitoba's zone from Ryan Russell. The pass missed his stick, but deflected off his skate and sneaked pass Schneider's pads to find the corner of Manitoba's goal.
The Hamilton Bulldogs defeated the Manitoba Moose 3-2 in Game 6 to end Manitoba's season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 25, 2010
- Bulldogs Win Series With 3-2 Overtime Victory Over Moose - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose End Season In Overtime - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Force Game Seven - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Sizzle in Game 6 to Force Game 7 Thursday Night - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally Past Albany, 6-3 - Albany River Rats
- Monarchs Beached in Third Period - Manchester Monarchs
- Sharks Are the Comeback Kids, Defeat Manchester, 4-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals, Wolves Play Game 7 Monday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Texas Stars Playoff Update #12 - Texas Stars
- Game 6 Shifts Back To Rochester Tonight - Rochester Americans
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Claude Noel Named Head Coach of Winnipeg NHL Team
- TNSE Launches "Drive to 13,000" to Secure NHL Franchise in Winnipeg
- Canucks Recall Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sergei Shirokov, Aaron Volpatti and Alex Bolduc
- Moose Eliminated by Bulldogs in Triple Overtime
- Moose Won't Back Down