NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Rats Fall 6-5 in Overtime

April 27, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Albany River Rats News Release

ALBANY, NY - Forward Jay Beagle scored the overtime-winner to lift the Hershey Bears to a 6-5 victory over the Albany River Rats in Game Three of the East Division finals on Tuesday night at the Times Union Center.

The River Rats squandered a third period lead for the third straight game to give the Bears a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven, second round series. The clubs will remain in Albany for Game Four on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.

Hershey erased a two-goal deficit in the second period to draw even at 3-3 after 40 minutes, but an altercation after the middle frame's final whistle gave Albany a five minute power play to start the third, courtesy of Bears Captain Bryan Helmer's spearing penalty. The River Rats converted on the advantage to take a 4-3 lead at 2:22, with Zach Dalpe's second power play goal of the night, but Hershey leveled the score on a Chris Bourque shorthanded tally at 3:56.

Assistant Captain Mike Angelidis reclaimed Albany's lead at 6:37 on of 3-on-2 feed from Jerome Samson, but the Bears again leveled the score with 3:86 remaining in regulation, when Alexandre Giroux's wrist shot from the outside eluded goalie Justin Peters' glove and forced overtime.

The Bears out-shot Albany 16-7 in overtime, and Beagle came through at 16:08 with a doorstep rebound from Sean Collins.

The River Rats squandered leads of 3-1, 4-3 and 5-4 in the contest, while Hershey never led in the game until their deciding goal.

Albany needed just 4:13 to take its first two-point lead of the series with goals from Dalpe and Oskar Osala. Dalpe's second tally of the playoffs came on the power play at 1:55 with a quick wrist shot to the top right corner. The rookie goal-scorer then assisted on Osala's strike at 4:13, by winning an offensive zone draw and allowing the big winger to drive through the faceoff circle and snap a shot through Bears goalie Braden Holtby's pads.

Ashton Rome put Hershey on the board at 5:31 of the second period, driving wide of Peters and wrapping a backhander around the sprawling netminder to make it a 2-1 game. Albany then recaptured its two-goal cushion at 11:22 on a 3-on-1 rush, which saw puck carrier Drayson Bowman roof a shot on the short side. The Bears cut their deficit to a goal at 13:58 on a tic-tac-toe power play goal by Andrew Gordon, and Hershey made it a 3-3 game at 15:41, when Chris Bourque finished a back-door feed from Mathieu Perreault.

Holtby stopped 27-of-32 shots faced to earn the win, while Peters stopped 37-of-43 shots faced in a loosing effort. The Bears out-shot the River Rats 43-32 and went 1-for-6 on the power play, while Albany went 2-for-4 on the man-advantage.

River Rats 2010 Calder Cup playoff packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto

• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...

American Hockey League Stories from April 27, 2010

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Albany River Rats Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central