Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens
(Rochester, NY)... Despite falling behind 3-0 early in the game and rallying back to a 3-3 tie, the Rochester Americans were stopped short by the Binghamton Senators 4-3 tonight at The Blue Cross Arena. With the win, the Sens improve to 32-33-5-3, while the Amerks fall to 39-31-2-0 with their first home-loss against Binghamton.
Left-winger John Hennessy (2+0) and Denis Hamel (1+1) both had two points for Binghamton earning the first and second star respectively and defenseman Derek Smith scored the game-winning goal on the night.
For the Amerks, Michael Repik (1+1) scored Rochester's third goal, keeping them in the game and had one assist, which earned him the third star in the contest. Center David Brine (1+1) also contributed two points on the night.
Netminder Tyler Plante gave a strong effort in tonight's game after coming off the bench because of two miscues by Alexander Salak. In a little over 45 minutes of play, the goalie saved 20 of 22 shots he faced.
Senator's goalie Mike Brodeur earned his 11th win of the season, saving 32 of 35 shots.
Hennessy gave the visiting B-Sens a 1-0 lead on the power-play at 7:48 of the first period. Just 43 seconds after Rochester's John de Gray took a two-minute hooking penalty, Binghamton defenseman Geoff Kinrade picked up the loose puck in the neutral zone and proceeded up ice. Kinrade found Kaspars Daugavins open along the left wing boards who then fed a nifty pass to a breaking Hennessy in the slot. Hennessy finished the play by firing a hard wrist shot in the far right corner just under the cross bar for his 28th goal of the season.
Binghamton's power-play struck again, this time capitalizing on Repik's boarding minor, just under four minutes later to take a 2-0 lead. Sens captain and former Amerk Hamel sent a low shot on goal from the slot that trickled through the legs of Salak, chasing the first-year Amerks netminder to the bench in favor of Plante.
Despite a new goalie between the pipes for the Amerks, Hennessy wasted no time adding another tally for the Senators, this time at 15:20 of the first period to make the score 3-0. Hennessy easily maneuvered around the Amerks' defense and sent a wrist shot sailing in the upper left corner, past Plante. The left-winger's goal was his 29th of the season and second of the night. Keller (0+2) also contributed to the play with an assist and doubled his points for the night.
The Amerks refused to end the period being blanked by Binghamton though, and finally capitalized on a play with a little more than two minutes left in the first to minimize the Sens lead to 3-1. Jordan Henry was fed the puck from Brine and sent a dart past Brodeur from the blue line, scoring his 13th goal of the season and second goal in two games.
Rochester came out flying in the second, scoring back-to-back tallies in just over two minutes time to level the contest at 3-3. Brine batted a rebound past Brodeur after Repik's point-blank shot landed on his tape for a shorthanded marker at 3:35. Repik then converted on his second attempt at 5:49 with a backhand that made its way through traffic and into the back of the net. Rookie forwards Victor Oreskovich and Evgeny Dadonov each assisted on the tying goal.
Smith would put the Senators back on top at 17:42 of the second stanza with a three-on-two power-play goal to take a 4-3 lead. On the goal, Hamel (1+1) had an assist for his second point of the night and center Martin St. Pierre also added an assist.
A late six-on-four opportunity was granted to Rochester, but the sloppy power-play stopped them short.
The Amerks head north of the border on Saturday, March 27th for the first of back-to-back tilts with the Toronto Marlies. Faceoff is slated for a 4:00 p.m. start at Ricoh Coliseum. The matchup can be heard live on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.