Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2
HERSHEY, PA - The Sharks clinched a play-off spot on Friday night, despite allowing a hat trick to Alexandre Giroux as Worcester dropped a 7-2 game to the Bears in Hershey at the Giant Center.
John McCarthy extended his scoring streak to eight games with his 13th goal of the season and Jason Demers scored his 3rd, but it wasn't enough as the Sharks dropped their 22nd game of the season. Worcester clinched a playoff spot as Norfolk fell to the Penguins 3-1 in Virginia.
The Bears came out flying in the opening period, scoring three goals on their first six shots in the first six minutes of the hockey game. Jay Beagle (13th) tapped in a nice centering feed by Mathieu Perreault at 3:41 past Alex Stalock to give Hershey a 1-0 lead. Just 46 seconds later, Alexandre Giroux (38th) broke through the Sharks defense and backhanded the puck past a sprawled out Alex Stalock to give the Bears a 2-0 lead. On the next shift, Frazer McLaren and Greg Amadio dropped the mitts in an entertaining heavy weight battle at 5:44. Ten seconds after the fisticuffs, Patrick McNeill's shot (8th) from the point found its way through traffic to give Hershey a 3-0 advantage. The rest of the period was a physical one, with plenty of hard checks and post whistle scrums. The Sharks trailed 3-0 after the first period as the Bears held a 12-8 shot advantage.
Each team scored in the second period but it was a line brawl at 3:51 of the period that got the sellout crowd buzzing. Andrew Desjardins was jumped after he kneed Patrick McNeil at the Bears blue line that sparked two separate fights and several scrums. Dan DaSilva and Andrew Gordon went toe-to-toe after Desjardins and Patrick Wellar tangled. DaSilva and Gordon were tossed after the brawl. The Bears built on the lead as Keith Aucoin (35th) fired a shot off the skate of Mike Moore and past Stalock at 5:57. Worcester got on the board at 19:17 as Jason Demers (4th) intercepted a clearing attempt and snapped a shot past Braden Holtby from the right circle. The Sharks trailed 4-1 after forty minutes of play.
Alexandre Giroux scored two quick goals (39 and 40th) for the hat trick to enter the third period to crush any sort of Sharks comeback bid. John McCarthy scored his 13th of the season after he broke up the middle and found the back of the net with a quick snap shot at 18:21. Kyle Wilson (24th) finished the scoring at 19:38 as the Sharks fell 7-2.
Win the loss, Worcester's record falls to (44-22-2-3, 93 points) and they now lead the Atlantic Division by three points over Portland. Worcester has nine regular season games left this season (7 road, 2 home)
Notes: Three Stars: (3) Beagle (1-0-1), (2) Aucoin (1-2-3), (1) Giroux (3-1-4)... Alex Stalock made 28 saves for Worcester...Braden Holtby made 25 saves for Hershey...Final shots were 35-27 in favor of the Sharks... John McCarthy has a EIGHT game point streak (5-4-9)... Worcester went 0-3 on the power play while Hershey went 0-5... The Sharks were whistled for 49 penalty minutes, the Bears 35...Worcester finished the two game season series vs. the Bears 1-1-0-0.
The Sharks seven game road trip continues on Saturday as they take on the Norfolk Admirals at 7:15 PM.
The weekend wraps on Sunday when the Sharks battle the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at 3:05 PM. The game can be viewed on MyTV which is Channel 26 for those with Charter Communications.
The Sharks are already taking deposits for their 5th season in Worcester! Jump in today and save over 30% off box office prices! Find out how to get the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs for FREE by calling the Sharks front office 508-929-0500. Some of the exclusive benefits for full season ticket holders will include:
Guaranteed same seat for all 40 home dates and playoff home games at the DCU Center Significant savings off box office ticket prices Priority access to purchase tickets to DCU Center events (subject to availability)
Season ticket packages, group tickets, and individual tickets for the 2009-10 and season are on sale now by contacting the Worcester Sharks Office at 508.929.0500 or by crashing the net at www.SharksAHL.com.
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.