Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime
HOUSTON - LW Robbie Earl scored the game-winner 3:33 into overtime to lead the Houston Aeros (30-30-7-4) to a 3-2 win over the Lake Erie Monsters (31-33-1-7) in front of 5,262 at Toyota Center Friday night. RW Jon DiSalvatore added a goal and an assist while G Anton Khudobin (12-17-4) made 23 saves in the victory. G Tyler Weiman (20-17-3) saved 24 of 27 shots on goal to get saddled with the loss.
The Aeros jumped on top 8:59 into the opening session. DiSalvatore broke into the Monsters zone along the right wing boards before sending a no-look pass to the tape of D Jaime Sifers who snapped a shot past Weidman to give Houston a 1-0 lead. Lake Erie answered at the 16:31 mark. F Zach Cohen worked his way along the goal line and sent a backhand pass to D Ray Macias in the slot where he beat Khudobin five-hole for the goal.
Lake Erie took their first lead of the game 18:00 into the second period. With D J.P. Testwuide in the box for a holding minor, RW Darren Haydar found RW Brian Willsie off the draw who sent a wrister through traffic to the back of the net putting the Monsters ahead 2-1.
DiSalvatore tallied the game-tying goal 11:23 into the third period that would ultimately send the game to overtime. After D Jamie Fraser sent a slap shot off the right post, fellow D Ryan Gunderson gathered the rebound and sent a cross-ice feed to DiSalvatore who fired a one-timer top shelf for his 20th of the season. The power play goal ties RW J-M Daoust for the club lead in goals for the season.
Earl played the roll of hero with 1:27 left in the extra session. After dumping the puck into the Monsters end, Earl outhustled a Lake Erie defenseman and gained possession in the right corner. He then circled his way back to the right circle, turned and rifled the game-winner past Weiman to seal it.
The Aeros outshot Lake Erie 27-25 for the game while both clubs went 1-for-3 on the man advantage. Houston finished the season with a 2-2-0-0 record against the Monsters and 14-7-1-0 against North Division opponents. The victory ends a six-game winless streak (0-3-2-1) dating back to Mar. 5 when the Aeros defeated San Antonio 3-1 at Toyota Center.
The Aeros continue their 3-in-3 with a pair of weekend contests in Peoria, Ill. The puck drops from Carver Arena Saturday at 7:00 p.m. before the club finishes the stretch with a 3:00 p.m. matinee against the Rivermen Sunday. Watch the games live on ahllive.com or listen to Joe O'Donnell's broadcast on 1070 AM-KNTH. Follow the interactive in-game blog on aeros.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.