Roadrunners Historic Streak Halted At Eight
For the first time since October 30ththe Roadrunners suffered a loss on home ice, having their eight-game winning streak come to an end at the hands of the Colorado Eagles.
Falling behind the eight ball just 1:28 in, Tucson through the first 41:34 of the contest before Lane Pederson got his 15th of the year to bring the home team back within one.
Pederson's tally ignited a three-goal third period for the Roadrunners, however, before Dysin Mayo and Andy Miele scored for Tucson, Colorado regained their two-goal lead.
Despite having the momentum with the game tied and only nine minutes to play in regulation, a power play tally from the Eagles proved to be the deciding factor.
First-year netminder Ivan Prosvetov suffered the loss, allowing the four goals on 35 shots.
THEY SAID IT
"We have to control our own destiny better. It's more about how we need to play our game from the beginning of the game. They went up 1-0 on us early in the game because of an odd-man attack and that's just something we don't do."
Head Coach Jay Varady sharing his thoughts post-game on his team's outcome.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
It was a fun run with lots of positive moments in the team's eight-game winning streak that started December 3 against the same Colorado Eagles, however, the team's mantra for so long now has been "we want to get points while we can".
With tomorrow being Game #30 already, it's safe to say they've done a good job at that. So much so, that the team's 23-6 record has earned Jay Varady the representation of Head Coach of the Pacific Division at the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic, which was announced by the league following Saturday's game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2019
- Barracuda Comeback Attempt Falls Short, Bested 7-5 by Condors - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Close out San Jose, 7-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Stays Red Hot in 4-1 Win over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Wolves Rally, But Fall in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Finish off Decade with Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Holds off Rockford, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Morgan Frost Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lyon Makes 35 Saves in Final Game of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Milner Records Shutout, Bears Blank Phantoms 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Kris Knoblauch Named Head Coach of Atlantic Division All-Stars at the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - Hartford Wolf Pack
- T-Birds Recall F Liam Pecararo from Loan to Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Sign Forwards Dan DeSalvo, Abbott Girduckis to PTO Contracts - Cleveland Monsters
- Head Coach Jay Varady Earns All-Star Coaching Honors - Tucson Roadrunners
- Taylor Named Coach for AHL All-Star Classic - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Knoblauch, C. Taylor, K. Taylor, Varady Named Coaches for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Jets Assign Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Game 30 Preview: Colorado at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 3:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Historic Streak Halted At Eight - Houston Aeros
- Reign Edge Gulls in Shootout - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.