Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3
LOWELL, Mass. - Matching a franchise-record in an eleven-round shootout, the Lowell Devils picked up a key two points in a 4-3 victory over the Springfield Falcons on Friday at the Tsongas Center. Brad Snetsinger scored the deciding marker, while rookie David McIntyre registered his first career points with an assist and the game-tying goal late in regulation.
Knotted at one going into the last half of the third period, both teams would post a pair of goals in just over five minutes. Springfield would make the first move on the power play at 11:57 in the third period when Chad Wiseman picked up the rebound from the back glass and shot it past goaltender Mike McKenna.
Two minutes later, Lowell would tie the game, 2-2, on their own man-advantage, as Ben Walter fed a pass between his legs to the near post for Nathan Perkovich to fire past goaltender Jean-Phillipe Levasseur for his 17th marker of the year.
Springfield would take back their lead with 3:54 left in regulation after a turnover in the far corner of the Devils' zone led to Jordan Eberle finding Chris Minard alone in front for the easy tally.
Just over a minute later, Lowell responded for a second time when Patrick Davis' pass from the side wall bounced off of McIntyre and into the net for his first pro goal. As the two teams skated through overtime, McIntyre would have a chance to end the match, but saw his wraparound attempt skitter along the goal line and wide of the net.
In the shootout, Viatcheslav Trukhno kept the Falcons alive in the fifth round after Matt Taormina had put the Devils up, 3-2. McKenna would shut the door for the next six rounds until Snetsinger beat Levasseur with a wrist shot to the top corner.
Stephen Gionta and Liam Reddox would trade goals five minutes apart in the middle period. McKenna picked up his 22nd win of the season with 20 saves through overtime and 8-of-11 in the shootout.
The Lowell Devils skate against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Sunday, Mar. 28 at 4:00PM. Tune into AM1510 or go online to AHLlive.com to catch all of the live Devils action. For more information, call (978) 458-PUCK or go to www.lowelldevilshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.