Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee
MILWAUKEE- The Grand Rapids Griffins finished off a season-high six-game road trip with a 3-2 win over the Milwaukee Admirals at the Bradley Center on Thursday.
The Griffins had posted a misleading 0-7-1-0 mark during their last eight trips to Suds City, but the win puts them within 10 points of Manitoba for the fourth and final playoff berth in the North Division.
The two teams will travel back to Grand Rapids on Friday for a 7:00 p.m. rematch at Van Andel Arena.
After a scoreless first period in which Grand Rapids out shot Milwaukee by a commanding 14-6 count, the Griffins grabbed a 1-0 lead at 4:35 of the middle frame. From the bottom of the right circle, Jeremy Williams took a feed from Doug Janik and unleashed a one-time blast into the top left corner of the net.
Milwaukee answered at 10:34 of the period, cashing in on its first power play opportunity of the night. In a two-on-one rush, Jonathon Blum tried a shot from the right circle and after it caromed off the Griffins' defense, he slammed home a bouncing puck from just a few feet above the goal line.
In the third period, Williams broke a 1-1 deadlock when he redirected Janik's slap shot from the right point at the 9:08 mark. On the play, Mattias Ritola picked up a secondary assist, marking his 100th point (38-62-100) as a Griffin.
Grand Rapids went ahead 3-1 when Justin Abdelkader entered the zone on the right wing side and cut to the middle of the rink to beat a sprawled out Dekanich from the left side of the crease.
At 15:14, the Admirals climbed to within one when Blum gathered Dave Scatchard's rebound in the slot and flipped in a backhander for his second power play tally of the night.
Grand Rapids stood strong defensively for the remainder of regulation, including the final 16 seconds when Milwaukee pulled their goaltender during a power play for a six-on-four advantage.
Daniel Larsson made 26 saves in the win, while Dekanich turned aside 33 shots in the loss.
Three Stars: 1. GR Williams (2 goals); 2. MIL Blum (2 goals); 3. GR Janik (2 assists).
View this game's official box score at griffinshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2010
- Bulldogs ice the Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros End Skid, Defeat Monsters 3-2 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Rockford and Toldeo extend affiliation agreement - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Continue Surge With 6-3 Win Over Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs finish season series 5-3-1-1 against the Rivermen - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Outburst Sinks Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Stars sink Wolves in shootout - Texas Stars
- Wolves fall to Texas in 4-3 shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Lawson stops 38-of-42 shots on goal; Haskins scores 10th tally - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Grab Point In 3-2 Shootout Loss To Hartford - Adirondack Phantoms
- Slow start dooms Amerks in 4-3 loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Power Past Admirals, Leave Norfolk With Third Place - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Topple Falcons in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch End Four-Game Skid with 4-0 Win - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Earn Another Point On The Road - Springfield Falcons
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks clinch playoff spot but fall to Bears 7-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens escape Rochester with 4-3 win - Binghamton Senators
- Lamoureux Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- The B-Sens In Your Community From March 26 Through April 1 - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Send For Stapleton - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Sign Right Wing Alex Curran - Syracuse Crunch
- Loktionov Returns To Monarchs Line-Up - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Release Jody Pederson - Providence Bruins
- Texas Stars Sign Cody Chupp To ATO - Texas Stars
- New York Rangers Recall Parenteau And Eriksson From Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton's Calder Cup Hero Joins Broadcast Team As Guest Colour Commentator - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details Of NAPA NASCAR Night With Special Guest Martin Truex, Jr. - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Sign Staal To ATO, Reassign Weston To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign McGinnis To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Hurricanes Reassign Justin Peters To Albany - Albany River Rats
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- McDonald Honored For Community Work - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Cody Almond To Houston - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- MVP Health Care "KidPower" Essay Winner Announced - Albany River Rats
- Game Night: Amerks Host B-Sens At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Aaron Volpatti To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Rome And Ferguson - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Sign Two To Tryouts - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Claim 3-2 Victory In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Big Crowds, Big Home Games For Griffins This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Edged Out By Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins Host 20th Annual Teddy Bear Toss against Manitoba
- Red Wings Assign Smith, Griffins Recall Loggins
- Youth Is Served in Griffins' Win
- Red Wings Recall Hicketts
- Detroit Recalls Ehn