Sharks Force Game 4 with 4-1 Road Win
Hershey, PA -The Worcester Sharks (#7 seed in East) will play another game after defeating the host Hershey Bears (#2 seed in East) by the score of 4-1 in front 8,991 fans at the GIANT Center on Wednesday evening in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. Hershey holds a 2-1 series lead with Game 4 slated for Friday, May 1 at the GIANT Center in Hershey at 7pm.
Micheal Haley and Chris Tierney each scored a goal and added an assist while Troy Grosenick made 27 saves in net for the win. Ryan Carpenter netted the game winner at 3:55 of the second period while Taylor Fedun added an insurance strike early in the third period for Worcester. Liam O'Brien gave Hershey an early 1-0 lead while Pheonix Copley made 29 saves in net for the loss.
Hershey grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the first period after the Sharks failed to clear the puck, Karl Stollery broke his stick, and Liam O'Brien (1st) zapped a quick snap shot from 15 feet that beat goaltender Troy Grosenick at 3:13. Worcester trailed 1-0 after 20 minutes and held a 9-8 shot advantage.
Worcester came out flying in the second period and scored twice in the first 3:55 in the middle frame to take a 2-1 lead. Chris Tierney (1st) struck on the power play with a tap in strike from on top of the crease after a nice feed from Daniil Tarasov at 1:01. Ryan Carpenter (1st) buried a puck during a goal mouth scramble at 3:55 to give Worcester a 2-1 advantage. Travis Oleksuk scored again at 13:54 but was called for goaltender interference after a Bears defender crashed into his goalie Pheonix Copley to erase the goal. Worcester outshot Hershey 19-8 in the middle frame as the Sharks took a 2-1 lead into the second intermission.
Worcester added an insurance goal at 5:37 with a 5-on-3 power play goal by Taylor Fedun (1st) to give the Sharks a 3-1 lead. Troy Grosenick was busy in the final frame with 12 saves while Micheal Haley (2nd) sealed the win with an empty netter at 19:53 for the 4-1 road victory.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Micheal Haley (1-1-2) 2nd star: Ryan Carpenter (GWG) 1st star: Chris Tierney (1-1-2).... Final shots were 33-28 in favor of Worcester... Phoenix Copley made 29 saves on 32 shots for Hershey....Troy Grosenick made 27 saves on 28 shots for Worcester in his 1st professional playoff start... Aaron Dell was the backup goaltender....Worcester went 2-for-6 on the power play while Hershey went 0-for-4....Taylor Doherty, Matt Willows, John McCarthy, Joakim Ryan, Daniel Ciampini, Willie Coetzee, Daniel Doremus, Trevor Parkes, Petter Emanuelsson, Jimmy Bonneau, Julius Bergman, and JP Anderson did not dress for Worcester... Bears captain Steve Oleksy missed his second straight game due to injury....Worcester had not scored a 5-on-3 power play goal during the regular season... Ryan Carpenter led Worcester with five game winning goals in the regular season - and had the Game winner in Game 3. Dylan Demelo, Eriah Hayes, Daniil Tarasov, and Karl Stollery all added assists...Hershey held a 2-0 series lead in the quarterfinals in 2013 and lost three straight games to the Bruins at the Giant Center.
Coming up.... Hershey leads best of five series 2-1
Game 1 Friday, April 24 Hershey 4 at Worcester 1
Game 2 Saturday, April 25 Hershey 3 at Worcester 1
Game 3 Wednesday, April 29 Worcester 4 at Hershey 1
Game 4 Friday, May 1 Worcester at Hershey 7pm
Game 5 Sunday, May 3 Worcester at Hershey 5pm - if necessary
You can listen to every game live on WTAG Worcester or watch online for a small fee at www.AHLLive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 29, 2015
- Griffins Take Down Marlies, Host Game 4 Saturday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Darren Archibald's OT Heroics Catapult Comets to 2-1 Series Lead - Utica Comets
- Penguins Sweep Series with 5-2 Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars' Season Ends in 3-2 Overtime Heartbreaker - Texas Stars
- Disputed Goal Helps to Drop Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Toronto Marlies Playoff Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Crunch Suffer 5-2 Loss to Penguins, Eliminated from Calder Cup Playoffs - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Force Game 4 with 4-1 Road Win - Worcester Sharks
- Sharks Force Game Four with 4-1 Victory - Hershey Bears
- Comets Announce Game 5 Tickets on Sale Thursday - Utica Comets
- Frk and Czarnowczan Sent to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- A Look Back on the B-Sens 2014-15 Season - Binghamton Senators
- IceHogs Look to Sweep Their Way into Conference Semifinals - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.