'Blades Out-Battle Gladiators in 4-1 Win
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades started the new year with a 4-1 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators at Hertz Arena on Wednesday night, which extended their winning streak to six games.
Nathan Perkovich and Kyle Platzer both registered multi-point games, and Florida (22-6-5-0, 49 pts.) scored twice in the second period and twice in the third period to run its home point streak to 12 games with its fourth win over Atlanta (7-18-5-1, 20 pts.) this season.
The 'Blades finally broke through against Atlanta goaltender Sean Bonar almost halfway through the second period as Patrick McCarron picked up his first goal of the season. As the 'Blades worked a cycle in the Gladiators' end, McCarron found some open space in the slot, dropped down from the point and received the puck from Nathan Perkovich (1g, 1a). McCarron took the puck in stride and waited out a shot that he belted on net past the blocker side of Bonar at the 9:20 mark of period two.
Justin Auger extended the 'Blades lead just a few minutes later with his seventh goal in just his 14th game of the season. As Florida set up in the offensive end, newcomer Patrick Bajkov got the puck to Blake Winiecki in behind the cage. Winiecki came from the backside of the net along the right circle and sent a pass to Auger who one-timed a shot along the ice to beat Bonar. After being reassigned to the 'Blades earlier in the day, Bajkov posted his first point in his first game with Florida.
The Gladiators ended Florida goaltender Jeremy Helvig's shutout bid on the power play at 3:49 of the third period. Nolan LaPorte scored the goal for the Gladiators with a hard wrister from the point, cutting the 'Blades lead in half with 16:11 to play in regulation.
Kyle Platzer (1g, 1a) picked up his own rebound and scored at 11:29 of the third to help the 'Blades regain their two-goal lead over the Gladiators. With Bonar pulled for an extra attacker late in the third, Platzer then set up Perkovich's empty-net tally, the final score of the night.
Helvig earned his ninth win, his sixth consecutive victory, by stopping all but one of the 26 shots he faced.
Florida continues the three-game series against Atlanta with a 7:30 p.m. matchup on Friday at Hertz Arena.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2019
- 'Blades Out-Battle Gladiators in 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
- Bartus Brilliant as Swamp Rabbits Top Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Three in the Third Doom the Mavs in Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Solar Bears Edged by Swamp Rabbits in 2-1 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Atlanta Drops Road Game at Florida 4-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Adds Hewitt, Lisoway Ahead of Tonight's Meeting vs. Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Sign Milosek, Ulett from SPHL Clubs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Grizzlies Sign Forward Stanislav Dzakhov - Utah Grizzlies
- Goaltender Merrick Madsen Returns from AHL Tucson - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Acquire Austin Block from Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Everblades Make Pair of Roster Additions - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Peterson Earns AHL Call Up - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Alex Kile Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Wichita Kicks off 2019 Tonight in Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Nick Saracino Named Co-Recipient of ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Wheeling Nailers
- Cincinnati's Wideman, Wheeling's Saracino Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Wideman Named ECHL Co-Plus Performer of the Month - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Komets Open 2019 with 3-In-3; Fuel Visit Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Marchment, De Jong and Barron Return to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Host Gladiators on Wednesday to Start 2019 - Florida Everblades
- Nolan Gluchowski Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Gluchowski Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Matt Tomkins Selected as CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Tomkins Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Johno May Called up to San Diego Gulls - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Rapid Reaction: 'Blades Score Twice in 7-Second Span to Top Rush, 4-0
- 'Blades Weekly: Season's Only Trip West Set for this Weekend
- Return of McCarron, Sheppard Highlights String of Roster Moves
- 'Blades Forward Kyle Platzer Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week
- Everblades Hop Away with Another High-Scoring Win in 10-4 Rout