Berdin Leads Moose to Shutout Win at Milwaukee
The Manitoba Moose (19-9-1-1) faced off against the Milwaukee Admirals (13-18-2-0) for a Wednesday night showdown at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena. The Moose were coming off a thrilling 5-4 win over the Texas Stars on Saturday.
Both Manitoba and Milwaukee exchanged chances throughout the first frame and despite decent opportunities at either end, neither side could find twine. Manitoba had two power play chances and used them to pepper the Admirals net. Devin Cooley was up to task and stopped all 15 shots he faced in the first. Mikhail Berdin, making his first start since Dec.16, ended with seven total saves for the visiting Moose.
Manitoba got the scoring started for the eighth straight contest in the middle frame. After a gusty and frantic penalty kill, the Moose went on the attack. Simon Lundmark fired a shot on net that was deflected by Austin Poganski in front and bounced over to Luke Johnson. The forward took a knee and swatted the disc into the back of the net to give the Moose the 1-0 lead with under five to play in the second. It was Johnson's second straight game with a tally. Berdin continued his solid play including a big save in the dying moments to maintain the Moose 1-0 lead . After 40 minutes of play, the boys in antlers were up in shots 27-16.
The third and final frame saw the Admirals make a push and attempt to find the equalizer. The Moose were stingy on the defensive end and locked the game down to prevent the Admirals from amassing too many quality chances. Late in the third, with the Milwaukee net empty, Austin Poganski got a hold of the puck, sent it down the ice and into twine for a 2-0 lead. Berdin finished the contest with 24 saves and his third shutout of the season. Cooley took the loss and ended the contest with 33 saves of his own.
Luke Johnson has scored in back-to-back contests and has three points (2G, 1A) in his last three games
Mikhail Berdin recorded his seventh career shutout and third this season which is a new career-high
Austin Poganski has recorded four points (3G, 1A) in his last three games and is the first Moose to hit 20 points (7G, 13A) on the campaign
Moose Goaltender Mikhail Berdin (Click for full interview)
"I think it was a great battle. We played good. The defence blocked lots of shots. We were just battling and working hard. We brought everything to the table and I think we did a great job."
The Moose travel to Grand Rapids for a game against the Griffins on Friday, Jan. 14. Puck drop is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT. Catch the game on CJOB.com/sports, the Manitoba Moose App and AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2022
- Former Captain Warsofsky Named to USA Olympic Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- San Diego Gulls Sign Defenseman Mike Mckee to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Kyle Criscuolo Heads East - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Bryce Misley from Iowa Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Pat Nagle Selected for U.S.A. Olympics Team - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Defenseman Aaron Ness Named to 2022 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Canucks at San Diego Gulls Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls to Host First-Ever Marvel Super Hero Night this Saturday, January 15 - San Diego Gulls
- Bunnaman and Sandstrom Return to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Host Throwback Night Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard, Bears Shut-Out Penguins, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Clurman Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Heat, Condors Game Friday Postponed - Stockton Heat
- American Hockey League Postpones Friday's Stockton-Bakersfield Game - AHL
- Condors Friday Home Game Postponed - Bakersfield Condors
- Forward Josiah Slavin Heads Back to the Chicago Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Riley Damiani to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Lyon, Marino and Wells - Chicago Wolves
- Mighty Griffs Night and Winning Wednesday Among Upcoming Promotions - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gabriel Enters COVID-19 Protocol - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Eric Staal to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Rally For Come-From-Behind 4-3 Victory Against San Jose Barracuda - Tucson Roadrunners
- Silver Knights Defeat Heat, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Allow Three in the Third, Fall 4-3 to Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Belleville Sens Open Road Trip with Loss in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Heat Fall Wednesday at Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Point Streak Ends at Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Outlast Utica in High-Scoring Affair - Rochester Americans
- Berdin Leads Moose to Shutout Win at Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Stopped by Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.