Heat Fall Wednesday at Henderson
HENDERSON, Nev. - Justin Kirkland netted his fourth goal in the last seven games and Matthew Phillips scored his team-leading 12th goal of the season, but the Stockton Heat (21-6-2-1) dropped a Wednesday contest at Henderson (16-8-2-1) by a 5-2 final score at Orleans Arena.
The Silver Knights scored in the opening minute, Zack Hayes lighting the lamp just 34 seconds into the action for the only goal of the first frame. Kirkland answered at the 6:03 mark of the second, collecting a stretch pass from Greg Moro and scoring on a breakaway to even the score.
The tie lasted for the next 1:39, with Henderson's Ben Jones putting the home team on top, the first of three for the home side in the second period and four unanswered to gain control of the game. Phillips scored Stockton's second, a power play tally with assists from Kirkland and Nick DeSimone, with 10 seconds left in the contest to produce the 5-2 tally.
Stockton has one game remaining on its seven-game road trip, Friday at Bakersfield, and is now 3-3-0-0 since the trip started on January 2.
Justin Kirkland's seven goals are the most he's had in any season with the Heat, besting his previous high of six in 2019-20 (53 games played). He registered his first multi-point game of the season.
Matthew Phillips notched his team-leading 12th goal of the season, breaking a tie with Jakob Pelletier.
Greg Moro has registered at least a point in four of five games played this season.
The Heat have outshot opponents in 13 consecutive games, dating back to December 7.
Stockton is now 1-1-1-0 against Henderson on the year.
STK PP - 1-for-6
STK PK - 2-for-3
First - Sven Bartschi (1g,1a)
Second - Pavel Dorofeyev (1g,1a)
Third - Logan Thompson (41 svs)
W - Logan Thompson (41 saves on 43 shots faced)
L - Dustin Wolf (23 saves on 28 shots faced)
The Heat conclude their seven-game road trip Friday at Bakersfield, a 7 p.m. start, and will return home on Saturday for a 7 p.m. puck drop against Tucson at Stockton Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2022
- Former Captain Warsofsky Named to USA Olympic Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- San Diego Gulls Sign Defenseman Mike Mckee to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Kyle Criscuolo Heads East - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Bryce Misley from Iowa Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Pat Nagle Selected for U.S.A. Olympics Team - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Defenseman Aaron Ness Named to 2022 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Canucks at San Diego Gulls Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls to Host First-Ever Marvel Super Hero Night this Saturday, January 15 - San Diego Gulls
- Bunnaman and Sandstrom Return to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Host Throwback Night Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard, Bears Shut-Out Penguins, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Clurman Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Heat, Condors Game Friday Postponed - Stockton Heat
- American Hockey League Postpones Friday's Stockton-Bakersfield Game - AHL
- Condors Friday Home Game Postponed - Bakersfield Condors
- Forward Josiah Slavin Heads Back to the Chicago Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Riley Damiani to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Lyon, Marino and Wells - Chicago Wolves
- Mighty Griffs Night and Winning Wednesday Among Upcoming Promotions - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gabriel Enters COVID-19 Protocol - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Eric Staal to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Rally For Come-From-Behind 4-3 Victory Against San Jose Barracuda - Tucson Roadrunners
- Silver Knights Defeat Heat, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Allow Three in the Third, Fall 4-3 to Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Belleville Sens Open Road Trip with Loss in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Heat Fall Wednesday at Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Point Streak Ends at Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Outlast Utica in High-Scoring Affair - Rochester Americans
- Berdin Leads Moose to Shutout Win at Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Stopped by Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.