Iowa Wild Signs Forward Eric Staal to PTO
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Wild General Manager Mike Murray today announced the American Hockey League (AHL) club has signed forward Eric Staal to a professional try-out (PTO) agreement.
Staal, 37 (10/29/1984), has appeared in 1,293 NHL games with the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Rangers, Minnesota Wild, Buffalo Sabres and Montreal Canadiens, recording 1,034 points (441-593=1,034) in that span. Most recently, he played in 53 games and recorded 13 points (5-8=13) with the Buffalo Sabres and the Montreal Canadiens during the 2020-21 season. He recorded a career-high 100 points (45-55=100), finished fourth in the voting for the Hart Memorial Trophy and won the Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2005-06 season. Staal played in 311 games and compiled 240 points (111-129=240) with Minnesota from 2016-20, and served as an alternate captain in three of his four seasons with the Wild. The Thunder Bay, Ontario native also won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2007 Men's Ice Hockey World Championships and the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Staal has played in 77 AHL games in his career, all with the Lowell Lock Monsters in the 2004-05 season. In that season, he led all Lock Monsters skaters with 77 points (26-51=77).
Before turning pro, Staal played three seasons with the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), tallying 209 points (81-128 9) in 185 games. He was originally selected by the Carolina Hurricanes in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2003 NHL Draft.
He will wear No. 14 with Iowa.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at (515) 564-8700 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2022
- Former Captain Warsofsky Named to USA Olympic Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- San Diego Gulls Sign Defenseman Mike Mckee to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Kyle Criscuolo Heads East - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Bryce Misley from Iowa Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Pat Nagle Selected for U.S.A. Olympics Team - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Defenseman Aaron Ness Named to 2022 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team - Providence Bruins
- Abbotsford Canucks at San Diego Gulls Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls to Host First-Ever Marvel Super Hero Night this Saturday, January 15 - San Diego Gulls
- Bunnaman and Sandstrom Return to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Host Throwback Night Saturday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard, Bears Shut-Out Penguins, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Clurman Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Heat, Condors Game Friday Postponed - Stockton Heat
- American Hockey League Postpones Friday's Stockton-Bakersfield Game - AHL
- Condors Friday Home Game Postponed - Bakersfield Condors
- Forward Josiah Slavin Heads Back to the Chicago Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Riley Damiani to Taxi Squad - Texas Stars
- Wolves Add Lyon, Marino and Wells - Chicago Wolves
- Mighty Griffs Night and Winning Wednesday Among Upcoming Promotions - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gabriel Enters COVID-19 Protocol - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Eric Staal to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Rally For Come-From-Behind 4-3 Victory Against San Jose Barracuda - Tucson Roadrunners
- Silver Knights Defeat Heat, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Barracuda Allow Three in the Third, Fall 4-3 to Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Belleville Sens Open Road Trip with Loss in Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Heat Fall Wednesday at Henderson - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Point Streak Ends at Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Outlast Utica in High-Scoring Affair - Rochester Americans
- Berdin Leads Moose to Shutout Win at Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Stopped by Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Signs Goaltender C.J. Motte to a One-Year AHL Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Goaltender Jesper Wallstedt to a Three-Year, Entry-Level Contract
- Iowa Wild Defenseman Dakota Mermis Selected as Winner of Yanick Dupré Memorial Award
- Iowa Drops Season Finale to Rockford, 6-1
- Rau's Record-Breaking Performance Leads Wild to 5-3 Victory over IceHogs