Belleville Sens Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Thunderbirds
January 28, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Belleville Senators News Release
Belleville Senators' Kyle Betts and Springfield Thunderbirds' Anthony Angello in action
SPRINGFIELD, MA - The Belleville Senators conclude their four-game season series with the Springfield Thunderbirds in a difficult fashion as they fell 6-1 at MassMutual Center on Saturday night.
After a scoreless opening twenty minutes of play, Springfield broke the deadlock just 29 seconds into the period after Martin Frk capitalized on a one-timer in the faceoff circle. The Senators evened the score moments later when Matthew Boucher collected his fourth of the season. A little over a minute later, the Thunderbirds regained their advantage through a Will Bitten power play goal. Later in the frame, the scoring continued as Matthew Kessel tallied at 15:39 with the man advantage to take a 3-1 lead into the intermission.
In the third, Springfield struck three more times as Mitchell Hoelscher, Hugh McGing and Mathias Laferriere all found the back of the net to help secure the dominant victory.
The Senators return to action next Thursday when they welcome the Rochester Americans to CAA Arena for 80's Retro Night, presented by 95.5 Hits FM.
Sens On Special Teams:
Power Play: 0/3 | Penalty Kill: 7/10
Mads Sogaard made 36 saves
Matthew Boucher has three goals in his last five games.
Kyle Betts collected his second assist of the season.
Jacob Bernard-Docker had a team-high plus-1 rating on the night.
Sound Bytes: Head Coach Troy Mann: "In terms of the amount of penalties we took and the PK not being able to execute, it makes for a long night."
Ticket info: Tickets for all Belleville Sens home games are available via Ticketmaster or at the CAA Arena Box Office.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2023
- Hogs Pick up Point in Tight Road Loss to Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Beat Firebirds 5-2, Extend Point Streak to 10 Games - Iowa Wild
- Belleville Sens Conclude Road Trip with Loss to Thunderbirds - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Tip IceHogs 3-2 in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Specialty Teams Deliver In Colorado's 5-1 Win Over Stars - Colorado Eagles
- Late Surge Falls Short in Griffins' Loss to Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles' Power Play Snaps Stars' Point Streak - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Fall in Rivalry Matchup - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Trounce Sens at Sold Out Thunderdome - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Stumble in 7-4 Loss to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Power Past Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Drop Second Straight to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Welinski Records 100th Career AHL Assist, But Wolf Pack Fall 7-3 to Crunch - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Stop Islanders - Bridgeport Islanders
- Lettieri's Three Points Help P-Bruins Fly Past Comets - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Blow Past Wolf Pack, 7-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Cruise Past Islanders, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Battle Back to Pull Off Weekend Sweep of Amerks - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Can't Capitalize on Momentum, Fall to Bruins 5-1 - Utica Comets
- Bears Extend Point Streak To Eight Games In 7-3 Win Over Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Eagles Transactions --- Forward Ben Meyers Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Defenseman Tyson Feist to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Iowa Wild Recalls Balmas, Signs Zmolek to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Host Crunch with Eye Toward Weekend Sweep - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Coachella Valley Firebirds - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Wrap up Road Trip against Manitoba Moose - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Goaltender Clay Stevenson Re-Assigned to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Game #42 - Canucks at Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Renew Rivalry with Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- San Diego Falls to Bakersfield - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Turn off the Knights, 4-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Silver Knights Fall to the Barracuda, 4-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Belleville Sens Fall in Cleveland
- Belleville Sens' Strong Run of Play Continues with Win in Cleveland
- Thomson Helps Lift Belleville Sens to Important Win
- Belleville Sens and Cool 100 to Host "Country Night" on April 1
- Valiant Effort Earns Belleville Sens Point in Lehigh Valley