Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton
Brampton, ON, CA- The Kalamazoo Wings were provided a 38-save performance by Joel Martin, but could only muster up one goal as they dropped a 2-1 decision against the Brampton Beast on Friday night at Powerade Centre.
After a scoreless first 14 minutes of the opening period, the Wings surrendered the first of the night after the Beast generated a point-blank opportunity. Chris Leveille carried towards the goal and found a soft spot near the crease, which allowed him time to slide the puck along to Brandon Marino. Marino was on the doorstep and poked in his team-leading 16th of the season for the first period's lone strike.
Needing just over five minutes of time in the second period to draw even, Kalamazoo were on the receiving end of a generous bounce. A rolling puck landed on the tape of Tyler Heinonen, who was standing below the goal line, behind the net of Chris Drieder. Heinonen elected to get the puck to the net anyway, and he was rewarded after it banked off Drieder's rear end and dribbled over the goal line.
Brampton roared back to take the lead in the closing minutes of the second while operating on their second power play of the game. Right off the faceoff in the Wings' zone, Jordan Henry sent a pass to Cody Donaghey, who took two steps towards the goal before uncorking a top-corner-finding wrist shot. The late Beast goal sent Kalamazoo into the locker room trailing by a goal after forty minutes of play.
The third period put the goalies on full display, as Joel Martin was tested with 12 shots from Brampton and came up with stops for each try. Down by a goal and looking to do what they can to claw back, the Wings threw everything they had at Drieder, generating 14 attempts. Dreider stopped all of Kalamazoo's efforts, including a flurry down the stretch with Martin on the bench for an extra attacker. Drieder's door-slamming performance helped carry Brampton to a 2-1 win.
Next: Kalamazoo vs. Brampton Beast- Saturday, March 3, 7:00 p.m., Wings Event Center.
Broadcast information: Saturday's game will air on AM 1660 The Fan or online at www.1660thefan.com/listen-live.
Single-game tickets are on sale! Tickets start as low as $10 and can be purchased at http://kwings.com/SingleGameTickets%20or%20at%20the%20Wings%20Event%20Center%20box%20office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.