Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month
Moline, Illinois - Austin Ortega of the Utah Grizzlies is the CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month for February.
Utah returns to action tonight on the road against the Quad City Mallards at 6 p.m. on ESPN 700 and ECHL TV.
Ortega scored seven goals and added 14 assists for 21 points in 11 games during the month as the Grizzlies finished February with six-straight wins over the final 13 days. 21 points led the ECHL in scoring for February.
The 23-year-old picked up at least one point in 10 of his 11 outings in February, including eight multi-point games. He had three points on Feb. 9 at Rapid City, Feb. 19 against Idaho and Feb. 24 against Wichita and ended the month on an eight-game point streak. Ortega was named ECHL Player of the Week for the week ending Feb. 25 after recording eight points (2g-6a) in three games after three-straight Utah home wins.
The Escondido, California native leads the ECHL in scoring since being assigned to Utah by the Anaheim organization on January 6 with 15 goals and 20 assists for 35 points in 24 games. The next closest player in the ECHL has 30 points over that span.
Despite being with Utah for only 24 of their 56 games, he is still tied for second among ECHL rookies with seven power-play goals and ranks third among first-year players with 16 power-play points. He has added 10 points (2g-8a) in 17 games with San Diego.
Prior to turning pro, Ortega tallied 139 points (70g-69a) in 147 career games at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. He also had 93 points (53g-40a) in 125 career games with Cedar Rapids, Fargo and Indiana of the United States Hockey League.
The Grizzlies move on to Indianapolis Saturday at 5:30 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. All times listed at Mountain Time.
Utah returns home Friday, March 9 at 7 p.m. for the first of our Metro PCS Pack The House Fridays. Fans can get vouchers to purchase $8 tickets for the game at any Wasatch Front area Metro PCS location.
Saturday, March 10 is the Grizzlies final Postgame Skate with the Grizzlies of the season after their game with Allen at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.