Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators
Norfolk, VA - Brodie Dupont scored in the final five minutes of regulation to give the Admirals their fourth-straight home victory, as they topped Atlanta 3-2 on Friday night.
Darik Angeli scored his third goal in the last two games and added an assist, giving the forward his second straight multi-goal game. With the victory the Admirals are now seven points back from the Gladiators for fourth place in the South Division.
Darik Angeli opened the scoring midway through the opening period with a short-handed tally. Shorthanded, Chase Harrison took a shot from the top of the circle that was initially saved by Dan Vladar. The rebound snuck through Vladar's glove and Angeli slapped it into the net, giving Norfolk the 1-0 lead. Angeli's 22nd goal of the year was the lone tally in the opening period, as the Admirals led 1-0 after the first.
In the second period tape-to-tape passing helped the Admirals push the lead to 2-0. Angeli connected with Domenic Alberga who found a wide-open Alex Pompeo on the back door. Pompeo's one-timer propelled right past Vladar and into the net giving the Admirals a 2-0 lead. Atlanta stormed back to tie the game with two goals in 42 seconds. Phil Lane got the visitors on the board. The forward rolled out of the corner and around the left dot, wristing a shot into the top corner, beating Reichenbach. Shortly after Lane's tally Atlanta tied the game up. Stephen Pierog connected with Ryan Lannon, crashing down from the point, one timed the puck past Reichenbach, tying the game.
The tie would last until the final five minutes of the third period. Tied at 2-2 with the man-advantage the Norfolk power play gave the home side the lead for good. Grant Besse's shot from the circle was initially stopped by Vladar, but Dupont swatted the loose puck into the back of the net, giving the Admirals the 3-2 lead. Dupont's 21st goal of the season ended up being his second game-winning goal of the season.
Ty Reichenbach made 34 saves in the victory for the Admirals. Dan Vladar made 37 saves in the loss for the Gladiators.
The Admirals wrap up the season series with the Gladiators on Saturday afternoon at the Scope.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Norfolk Admirals Announce Partnership with Violent Gentlemen Hockey Club
- Admirals Bring Aboard Rookie Forward Gagnon
- Admirals Announce NHL Affiliation with Carolina Hurricanes
- Admirals Sign Talented Defenseman Robertson
- Admirals Ink Tough Veteran Forward Collins