Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - A big night from the Mavericks' second line propelled Kansas City (28-27-0-2) to top the Fort Wayne Komets (38-14-2-1) by a 3-2 final score Friday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
The second line of Corey Durocher (one goal, one assist)Mark Cooper (two goals) and Jared VanWormer (two assists) led the way in the come-from-behind win.
The win for the Mavericks snapped a six-game win streak for Fort Wayne and was the Komets' first regulation loss since January. It was also the first time all season that the Komets lost when leading through two periods.
The Komets led through one period after claiming the lone goal of the opening 20 minutes, a redirection from Marco Roy that lit the lamp for an early edge. The teams were tied at seven shots apiece heading into the locker room.
Cooper tied it up in the second, tapping in a perfect cross-crease feed on a two-on-one break from VanWormer 7:31 into the frame. Justin Hodgman put the visitors back on top heading into the second intermission.
Once again it was number 26 who lit the lamp for the Mavericks in the third, a gritty goal on a loose puck in front 6:11 into the third to once again pull even with the Komets.
The teams battled to a stalemate deep into the third, tied until Durocher came through with the game-winning goal with less than a minute remaining to seal the win.
The Mavericks and Wings meet again Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. for Hockey Heritage Night.186
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Marcus Crawford Awarded All-Star MVP
- Marcus Crawford Selected as ECHL All-Star, Rescheduled Date for January 4 vs. Allen Announced
- Mavs Complete Comeback Win in Overtime in Iowa
- Mavs Drop Game Two of Military Appreciation Weekend
- Mavs Take Night One of Military Appreciation Weekend