'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits
ESTERO, FL - John McCarron scored the game-winning goal just 38 second into overtime to lead the Florida Everblades to a 3-2 comeback victory over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits Friday night at Germain Arena.
Greenville controlled much of the first period as they spent the majority of their time in the 'Blades end. The Swamp Rabbits broke the tie at 13:36 after a 2-on-1 rush gained the Everblades zone. A shot from behind the goal line off the stick of Fort Myers local and FGCU alum Daniel Echeverri bounced off the backside of Callum Booth; a battle for the loose puck ensued in the crease and Shane Walsh was able to chip it the back of the net to give the Swamp Rabbits a 1-0 lead.
The Blades started out the second period with a roll over 5-on-3 power play. However, the Everblades were unable to score on either power play despite the good look down low from Mitchell Heard, as Heard was robbed by the glove of Greenville netminder Brad Barone.
The Swamp Rabbits carried the momentum off the penalty kill and translated it into a goal with a shot-pass from the left point from Wade Murphy that found Guillaume Naud outside the crease. Naud battled against Matt McKenzie before chopping at the puck to beat Booth and extend the Greenville lead to 2-0.
The Everblades gained some momentum of their own as they got on the board right after killing off a penalty to Clark Seymour. Mitchell Heard battled hard on the puck in the offensive zone down low before shouldering off of a Swamp Rabbit player below the circle and making his way to the slot. Heard then sent the puck right back to where he skated from to Zack Kamrass who blasted a one-timer through the wickets of Barone to bring the Blades within one midway through the second.
Brett Bulmer tied the game with just 10.8 seconds remaining in the second period with a shot right following a faceoff win by John McCarron that quickly relayed to Bulmer for a quick wrister that knuckled past the glove of Barone to tie the game at two at the second break.
The Blades were all over the Swamp Rabbits in the third period, outshooting the Swamp Rabbits 14-0. It marked the second time in club history the 'Blades did not surrender a single shot on net in a period. The first time took place on January 7, 2005 in the third period of a game at South Carolina.
Despite the Blades dominate performance in the third period, Barone bailed out the Swamp Rabbits to force overtime with regulation ending tied 2-2.
John McCarron continued his personal dominance (6G 3A in 4GP) of the Swamp Rabbits by scoring the game-winner just 38 seconds into overtime off a ripper of a shot from the right circle that beat Barone through his five-hole to put an end to the goaltender's strong play and complete the 3-2 comeback victory.
Callum Booth earned the win stopping 13 of 15 shots, while Barone takes the loss allowing three goals on 43 shots to finish with 40 saves.
The two teams will meet again on Saturday at Germain Arena at 7:00 p.m. Promotional information listed below.
Upcoming Home Games
Saturday, March 3, vs. Greenville, 7:00 p.m. Lee County Schools Night The Fur Circus mascots will be on hand to entertain the fans and kids throughout the night and in the concourse! Tailgate party from 5-7 p.m. featuring live music and bounce houses for the kids.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades to Hold First Responder Jersey Auction Benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Association
- McCarron Sets Everblades Career Points Mark in Atlanta
- Everblades Trade for Defenseman Christian Hausinger
- Everblades and Gladiators to Open Three-Game Week on Monday
- Everblades and Gladiators to Tussle Three Times