Railers Take Weekend Opener
WORCESTER, MA- The Wheeling Nailers will look ahead to Saturday night, when they will attempt to post a .500 record on their six-game road trip, facing the Worcester Railers for the second game in a row. Friday night's game went Worcester's way, as the home squad started with three goals in the first period, then tacked on two more along the way, while Mitch Gillam turned in a 30-save shutout in a 5-0 final score at DCU Center.
The first period was a difficult one for the Nailers, as Worcester stormed out to a 3-0 advantage. The first goal came at the 1:24 mark, when Nick Saracino floated a pass low on the left side to Chris Langkow, who set up Barry Almeida for the tally on his way down the right side of the slot. Less than five minutes later, Langkow potted a shorthanded marker, fighting off a Wheeling defender, then stretching a forehand shot around Matt O'Connor's left leg pad. With 8:35 to go, Langkow stole the puck out of the right corner, before feeding Almeida, who was denied. However, Saracino swatted the rebound out of the air and into the net.
One goal was scored in the middle frame, as the Railers extended their lead. A shot from the blueline was tipped, but O'Connor stopped that, in addition to a rebound chance. However, the third attempt turned on the red light, as TJ Syner stepped in and converted from the right side. Ryan MacKinnon's shot from the left wall was the final tally of the night, giving Worcester the 5-0 win.
Mitch Gillam was perfect on 30 shots, earning the shutout victory for the Railers. Matt O'Connor made 30 saves on 35 shots in his debut for Wheeling.
The Nailers will complete their six-game road trip on Saturday, when they face the Railers again at 7:05. Wheeling and Worcester will then travel to WesBanco Arena for Education Day Game #2 on Wednesday at 10:45 a.m. The Nailers will also host the Reading Royals for two games next Friday and Saturday, both starting at 7:05. Friday will be Ladies Night, featuring a pregame wine tasting event. Saturday is Pittsburgh Penguins Night. Fans will be able to see the Stanley Cup, the first 2,500 fans will receive a Carter Rowney Bobblehead, and Wheeling will wear special jerseys. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.