IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win
The Jacksonville Icemen continued their winning ways at home as they crushed the Reading Royals, 6-1, on Friday night. The Icemen have won their last three games at Veterans Memorial Arena with two games left on the homestand.
Following a disappoint 6-2 loss to the 'Blades on Wednesday night, the Icemen were eager to find the back of the net on Friday. Just after the halfway mark in the first, Jimmy Lodge started an explosive first frame with a snipe from the left circle on the power play. It would only take 12 seconds for Jacksonville to strike again, as Christopher Dienes sent a cross-ice feed to Cody Fowlie for the second goal of the game. A mere 71 seconds after Fowlie's goal, Bobby MacIntyre stole the puck in the defensive zone and skated down the ice before ripping a wrist shot past Branden Komm. Following MacIntyre's goal, Komm was pulled for backup Mark Dekanich.
Jacksonville wasn't done yet, as Cody Fowlie curled at the left circle and found Dajon Mingo streaking in on the net for the tap-in goal. Right before the period ended, Elgin Pearce took advantage of a bad clear by Dekanich and scored in close for the fifth Icemen goal. The Icemen scored five goals in the first period for the second time in team history.
In the second period, Jimmy Lodge extended the Icemen's lead to six with a spectacular goal. As Tanner Eberle's penalty expired, Jimmy Lodge skated end-to-end, made a quality toe-drag move on a sliding defender, and beat Dekanich five-hole. Jacksonville entered the third period with a six-goal advantage.
The Royals would get on the board early in the third as Ryan Penny circled the net and beat Austin Lotz far side. Lotz would shut down any chance of a miraculous third-period comeback and the Icemen cruised to one of their biggest wins in the 2017-18 season, presented by Community First Credit.
With tonight's big win, Jacksonville is just six points behind Atlanta for a playoff berth. The Icemen play the Florida Everblades on Friday, March 9 at 7:30 p.m. Click here to get your tickets for Friday's South Division showdown!
Images from this story
Jimmy Lodge of the Jacksonville IceMen celebrates a goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.