Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks wrap up a season-long eight-game home stand with a pair of games against the Fort Wayne Komets, starting Friday night at 7:05.
The game is the final of the 'Friday Night Ice' series on KSMO-TV with Joel Goldberg and Simon Watson on the call.
Kansas City Mavericks (27-27-0-2) vs. Fort Wayne Komets (38-13-2-1)
Silverstein Eye Centers Arena | Independence, Mo.
After starting 2018 with a 7-3-0-0 record in January the Mavericks took a step back as they went 2-8-0-1 in February. Kansas City will look to flip the script once again as the season enters the home stretch with the start of March, beginning with a pair of games against Fort Wayne.
Komets Come In Hot
The Komets come to Kansas City as the hottest team in the ECHL, getting at least a point in their last 13 games. Fort Wayne hasn't lost in regulation since Jan. 26 and is 17-1-0-1 in its last 19 games, 33-8-0-1 since Nov. 19. The Mavericks come into tonight's game owning a 2-1 lead in the season series against Fort Wayne.
Elby Lights The Lamp
Mavericks captain Tyler Elbrecht scored his first goal of the season in Tuesday's game against Rapid City, a slap shot from just inside the red line that found its way through Adam Vay. It was his first goal since March of last season as the defensive-minded defenseman joined fellow blue-liner (turned forward) Alex Brooks in scoring their first goals of the campaign in the last week.
Despite a rough February, the Mavericks find themselves only three points out of the playoffs and fourth-place Kalamazoo. The Mavs trail fifth-place Indy by a solitary point and have two games remaining against the Fuel. Kansas City does not play against the Wings again this season.
Fast Start Key
The Komets have few weak spots, but they are notably slow starters on the year. Fort Wayne has been outscored in only one period this season - the first - by a 56-55 margin. That changes dramatically after the first intermission as the Komets have outscored opponents 76-45 in the second and 97-52 in the third. Kansas City enters tonight's game with a record of 11-7-0-0 when leading after 20 minutes on the year, 5-15-0-2 when trailing at the first intermission.
How to Follow
For lines, goals and period recaps, follow the Mavericks on Twitter (@KC_Mavericks). For play-by-play updates, follow @KCMavsGameday. The game will air on KSMO-TV as the final game of the 10-game Friday Night Ice slate for this season with Joel Goldberg and Simon Watson on the call. Bob Rennison's radio call alongside Ryan Gibson is available via the Mavericks' mobile app, KCMavericks.com and 100.1 FM radio in Kansas City.
The Mavericks and Komets meet again on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. for Hockey Heritage Night, the final game of a season-long eight-game home stand.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- ECHL Cancels Remainder of 2020-21 Season
- Mavs Weekly: Mavs Welcome Nearly 15,000 Fans over Weekend
- Mavs Defeated by Wichita Saturday Night, 4-1
- Mavs Furious Third Period Comeback Yields Standings Point, But KC Falls 5-4 in Overtime
- Mavericks Send Kozun to Solar Bears in Exchange for Forward Fitze