Mallards Game Day
QUAD CITY MALLARDS VS. UTAH GRIZZLIES
FRIDAY, MARCH 2, 7:05 P.M.
19-32-4, 42 points
7th place, Central Division
23-23-10, 56 points
tied 5th place, Mountain Division
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1230
Ryan Walters scored twice as the Grizzlies defeated the host Mallards 5-2 Wednesday night.
The Mallards tonight go for a split of their two-game series with the Grizzlies.
Three in Three
The Mallards tonight start their fourth stretch of three games in three days in as many weekends and their eighth this season. The Mallards visit the Cincinnati Cyclones tomorrow night before returning home to face the Fort Wayne Komets Sunday.
The Mallards tonight play the second of four games in five days and, over the longer haul, play their final 32 games over 67 days.
The Mallards have lost their last four games. That skid is tied for their second longest regulation losing streak of the season. The Mallards first lost four straight in regulation between December 30 and January 6. The Mallards endured a five game regulation losing streak between December 8 and December 16.
The Mallards tonight play the first of their 14 games in March. The Mallards went 7-7-0 in February.
The Mallards have gone 6-3-0 in their last nine home games.
On the Road
The Mallards have lost their last four road games.
The Mallards have averaged 3.6 goals over their last 20 games after averaging just 2.3 over their first 35 outings.
The Mallards have scored at least four goals in each of their last eight victories.
The Mallards have allowed 23 goals while dropping their last four games.
The Mallards have won the last nine times they have allowed three goals or fewer.
Red Light District
The Mallards rank twenty-fifth in the ECHL in goals per game (2.8). The Mallards remain twenty-seventh in the league in goals allowed per contest (4.1).
The Mallards have failed to outshoot the opposition in 15 of their last 18 games. The Mallards were outshot by the Grizzlies 40-29 Wednesday. The Mallards allowed 40 shots for a seventeenth time this season and surrendered at least 20 shots in one period (23 in the second) for the eighth time.
Outside the Box
The Mallards are the second least penalized team in the ECHL. They average ten minutes in the box per game.
Kyle Novak scored his first career goal Wednesday.
Greg Amlong scored his second goal of the season Wednesday.
Ryan McGrath assisted on both Mallard goals Wednesday.
Brayden Low is on a five-game point-scoring streak (4-3-7).
Both Alex Globke (4-6-10) and Gergo Nagy (3-6-9) saw their six-game point-scoring streaks end Wednesday. Those runs are among four tied for the longest Mallard point streaks this season.
Willie Raskob is tied for fourth among ECHL rookies and among defensemen in assists (29).
Between the Pipes
Ivan Kulbakov made 35 saves while giving up four goals Wednesday in his first Mallard start since February 10. Kulbakov was loaned to the Mallards Saturday by the American Hockey League's Cleveland Monsters after being recalled by Cleveland February 12.
The Mallards went 0-for-3 on the power play Wednesday while Utah went 0-for-1. The Mallards have converted one of their last 17 power plays. The Mallards rank sixteenth in the ECHL on the power play (16.7 percent) and twenty-fifth in penalty killing (78.1 percent).
Head to Head
This week's games are the Mallards' only clashes with Utah this season. The Mallards won their lone meeting with the Grizzlies prior to this season 4-2 on home ice on March 2, 2016.
Ins and Outs
Forward Gergo Nagy returned to the Mallards Tuesday after signing a professional tryout agreement with Chicago (AHL) last Friday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 2, 2018
- Steelheads Hammer Thunder in Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Hop in and out of Overtime In3-2 Win over Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- GAME REPORT: Eagles Snap Oilers Point Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Claim Wild 7-6 Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Day Chief, Cyclones Finally Solve Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Rocked by Thunder, 6-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Allen Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Come from Behind to Top Komets, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Day Chief's Natural Hat Trick Propels Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dupont's Late Tally Lifts Admirals over Gladiators - Norfolk Admirals
- Driedger Stones Wings as Beast Win 2-1 - Brampton Beast
- IceMen Destroy Royals in Huge Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Walleye Use Power Play to Top Stingrays, 4-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Stymied in Jacksonville, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Wings Drop Goalie Duel in Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Slow Start Halts Glads in 3-2 Loss to Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Railers Take Weekend Opener - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Find Sixth Sense in Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Wichita - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - March 2 - ECHL
- Americans Hoping New Faces Will Change Luck - Allen Americans
- Predators Reassign Goaltender Matt O'Connor to Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Robin Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month for February - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Press Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Austin Ortega Named ECHL Player of Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday - Adirondack (31-20-3-3) at Manchester (33-18-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Spencer Watson and Carmine Guerriero Join Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Utah's Ortega Named CCM/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- IceMen Take on Royals at Home - Jacksonville Icemen
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Gladiators Come to Town for Pair of Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Nagle Named ECHL Goalie of the Month for February - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Komets - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Preview: Final Game of Series at Jacksonville - Reading Royals
- Dzierkals Wraps up 4-3 Solar Bears OT Victory over Royals - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings