Mallards Rally to Win Finale
MOLINE, Ill. - Stanislav Dzakhov scored the tying and winning goals in the third period as the host Quad City Mallards (25-42-5) rallied to defeat the Cincinnati Cyclones (39-29-3) 4-3 in the Mallards' final game Saturday night.
Dzakhov evened the score at three just 58 seconds into the third with a rising drive from the right wing circle. Dzakhov snapped the deadlock by tipping in Jake Bolton's blue line blast from the slot at 6:02 and the Mallards went on to protect the lead the rest of the way.
The Mallards were forced to rebound after the Cyclones scored three second period goals. The Mallards entered the second with a 1-0 lead but Cincinnati's Myles Powell would erase that advantage with a wraparound at 7:13. Quentin Shore's drive from the right wing circle put the Mallards back on top 2-1 at 11:49 only for Brandon McNally to whip home a second Cyclone equalizer from the high slot one minute, 45 seconds later. Dominic Zombo then put Cincinnati up 3-2 by burying a loose puck from the doorstep at 16:32.
The Mallards threw 23 first period shots at Cincinnati goaltender Joseph Raaymakers- who would finish the evening with 45 saves- and opened the scoring while on the power play when Willie Raskob ripped the puck in from the high slot at the 15 minute mark of the first.
The Mallards tonight completed their time in the ECHL with a victory after it was announced last month the team would cease operations at the end of the season. The Mallards, who spent the last four seasons in the ECHL, began play in 1995.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2018
- Grizzlies Close Season with Shutout Win, Sellout Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Rush Win Wild Affair to Close out Season - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Season Comes to An End in Loss to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Move Back into Fourth Place After Overtime Loss to Toledo - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Blanked in Season Finale - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cyclones Fall in Quad City Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Loss Sets Stage for Win-And-In against Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale - Quad City Mallards
- Geiger Nets Late Winner in Regular Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Season on a High Note against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers End 2017-18 with An Exclamation Point - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Blanked by Strong Goaltending in Regular Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Steam into Postseason with 5-2 Win over Admirals - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Defeat IceMen in Season Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Defeated by Railers, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Fall 5-2 in Reading to Close Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Win Season High Sixth Straight with 3-2 Victory in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Troy Bourke - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Season Concludes Saturday Night in Reading - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Donate Money to Humboldt Broncos Tragedy - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Play Final Game on Road against Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 7 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day Preview: Americans vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Komets Draw Cincinnati for First Round Playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Playoff Schedule against Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Host Final Game of Regular Season with FANdemonium - Reading Royals
- Wichita Clinches First-Ever ECHL Playoff Berth - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads' winning streak snapped in overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Wings Return to Top Four by Earning Point in Quad City - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surges Eagles Past Thunder - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings